If you have decided that you want to start doing yoga exercise, this article is for you because it will reveal everything you need to know to get the best out of yoga.
To enjoy yoga workouts, you need to get yourself prepared by knowing the major things needed for yoga and how to enhance your skills. Today, Superprof has come up with a list of things needed for wonderful yoga lessons. Whether it is yoga for beginners or advanced yoga training, take your time to read to the end to get useful information about yoga.
Clothes to wear for yoga
Aside from buying the necessary equipment needed for yoga, the next big thing you should pay attention to is the attire you use for yoga practice. Normally, the best type of clothes to use is one that is loose and comfortable.
If you attend a yoga class, one of the major things your teacher would emphasize on is the kind of clothes you use for yoga practice. Since yoga has to do with stretching, not wearing the right attire will not only make you uncomfortable but also restrict body movement.
When buying clothes for yoga, below are the key things you need to bear in mind:
- Avoid clothes with zippers. You can easily injure yourself when stretching if your garment has zippers on it.
- Since yoga is more of stretching, go for tops and bottoms that are free and comfortable.
- Go for the right material. Since yoga is a form of exercise, it is certain that you must sweat during a yoga class. It is expected of students to wear clothes that are made of polyester and cotton, especially for those who sweat a lot during workouts.
- Make sure you don't repeat yoga clothes after use without washing them. If you do, this would emit offensive smell because of the sweat on it and may cause embarrassment especially if you are in a class that has many students.
- If you are a stylish person that would want to add some swag to your yoga classes, you can decide to buy clothes that match with your yoga mat.
Things you need for yoga practice
Whether it is dynamic yoga, Hatha yoga, Vinyasa yoga or Ashtanga yoga you are interested in, you need the right equipment to have a smooth Practice.
Of all the equipment needed for yoga classes, the yoga mat is the most important. While some yoga classes provide mats for their students, having your personal mat would make it possible to do home yoga. Also, it is very likely that you are going to rent the mat at the yoga studio. If you plan to do yoga regularly, having your personal mat would help save some money in the long run.
Another thing why you need to have your personal mat is for hygiene purpose. A shared mat can be easily contaminated because you don't have control over who uses it in a yoga studio.
What to look at before buying a yoga mat?
- The thickness of the mat matters a lot. A thick mat will definitely be more comfortable than a thin one.
- Go for a lightweight mat. Of course, you wouldn't want to buy a mat that will be too heavy for you to carry to the studio. Go for something that is handy and easy to carry around
- Cotton material is always the best because it is more comfortable. Although PVC material is a nice choice, it is toxic to human health.
Other accessories needed for yoga posture include ropes, blocks, straps, blanket, etc.
Some Apps to use at home for yoga lessons
You can actually start your yoga at home without needing to visit any yoga school or studio for practice. There are free and paid yoga apps available on Google Play Store and Apple Store you can download to learn different poses in yoga. These applications were developed because not everybody has the time or money to register with a yoga studio for training.
Let us look at a few of these apps you can use for a yoga class.
Apps to download on Google Play for yoga lessons
Daily yoga: This app has over 200 yoga poses and 30 exercises to use for your yoga class. It comes with soothing music to help make your session worthwhile and there is a social community where you can discuss your progress with other students.
Yoga.com: This app has over 7 million downloads already, making it the most popular app for yoga. There are 289 yoga poses and exercises embedded in this app and all the videos are in HD.
Other apps you can get on Google Play Store include Yoga - Track yoga (best for different yoga such as Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Hatha, etc.), Downdog, etc.
Apps to download on Apple Store
For ios, you can try 5 Minutes of Yoga app and xFit yoga. Also, most of the apps in Google Play have paid versions for ios users. The paid versions give you unlimited access to the apps and are also free from annoying adverts.
Some of the best music to play during a yoga class
Since yoga has to do with meditation, the mind needs to be programmed to achieve the best result in yoga. While people are okay doing yoga without music, most people feel the need of having music playing in the background while they workout.
Why play music during a workout?
- Music makes you relax fully: Since yoga is for meditation, you need to have your mind fully relaxed to achieve your goals. Most people listen to their favourite songs to relax the mind.
- Music motivates body movement: Music gives you the motivation to want to do more in a yoga class.
- Music improves concentration and balance
Some good musical sounds to have in the background while doing yoga exercise
The major thing to note while selecting music to play during yoga exercise is that music preference is different from individual to individual. The music Mr A would like might not be what Mr B would want. However, you can check out the tracks below to see which one works perfectly for you. Some of the songs are from Nigerian musicians.
- Count on You by Johnny Drille (Nigeria}
- Free Fallin by John Meyer
- Focus by H.E.R
- Like a Star by Corrine Bailey Rae
- Wait for me by Johnny Drille (Nigeria)
- Missin You Crazy by Russ
- I Was Made For Lovin You by Tori Kelly
- Duduke by Simisola (Nigeria)
You can listen to the songs above and choose the one that appeals to you the most. Alternatively, if you already have some songs you like using for exercise, you can use them for yoga classes.
Some websites to learn yoga online
The internet has made it quite easy for students to take yoga classes online. If you are looking for morning yoga for beginners or advance teaching, there are websites and YouTube channels that are devoted to helping you enhance your skills.
Some of the best websites for yoga classes and poses
Websites like Yome, Be More Yogic, Do Yoga With Me, etc. are all good places to find and read useful tips on yoga. Whether it is hot yoga, Vinyasa yoga, Hatha yoga or any form of yoga, these websites have clear-cut videos that will guide and teach you the basic things about yoga.
Another good place to get teaching on yoga is YouTube. Channels like Fightmaster Yoga, Yoga by Candace, Yoga with Adriene, Bad Yogi, etc. are good channels to subscribe to and learn yoga pose of all kinds.
Follow some of the top names on social media to enhance your yoga skills
Social media is a good platform to find yoga classes for beginners and professionals. If you are looking for a yoga instructor to follow on social media, Instagram is one of the best places to find one. Superprof has put together some of the best yoga teachers you can learn new yoga poses from. Below are some Instagram yoga influencers to follow and learn new tips:
- Ashley Galvin (@Ashleygalvinyoga)
- @joraelyoga_ (Nigerian yoga teacher)
- @_melbies_ (Nigerian yoga teacher)
These are some of the few best Instagram yoga teachers you can follow to learn new skills. You can read more on the famous yoga instructors to follow on social media.