Cooking is one of the many skills you should have. Not a lot of people will make a business out of it, however, it is an essential life skill.
Cooking has indeed gotten a bad reputation for being a chore. Because of this thought process, it has allowed a lot of people to lose interest in cooking. But in the grand scheme of things, you'd realise that the core of food preparation goes beyond just filling up hungry stomachs.
For many, cooking is an art that has withstood the test of time; advancing and rejuvenating with each generation. Of course, several recipes that exist today have kept to its true nature from its early beginnings.
Perhaps, what makes cooking so enjoyable is the many recipes that are available in the world today. These recipes are constantly tweaked to make amazing food which inadvertently brings joy and good health.
Whether it is for personal or professional reasons, there are several approved culinary schools within Port Harcourt, Nigeria, that offer teaching in the art of food making.
If you're looking for approved culinary schools in Port Harcourt Nigeria, this Superprof guide will provide you with approved food training academies. Quality information is also available for learners who intend to learn to cook with a private chef tutor or virtually.
Learning To Cook With Celebrity Mobile Kitchen Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Located in Rumoubiakani, Port Harcourt Nigeria, Celebrity Mobile Kitchen offers courses in baking and professional cookery. Learners who would like to start lessons can take classes within a minimum duration of one month.
The school offers lessons in the following courses:
- Professional Baking and Pastry: This course is available for intermediate and beginner learners. You'll discover world-class techniques needed to bake the best pastries.
- Professional Culinary Art: Duration for this course is 6 months. In your 6-month long lesson, you'll learn the intricacies involved in cooking as well as a variety of cuisines.
- Professional Diploma: To become a professional chef in Nigeria, you're required to have a culinary certificate in your area of expertise. The school offers 9 months diploma classes for intermediate/advanced learners.
- Diploma Patisserie: If you'd like to acquire French, Italian or Belgian bakery, then this cooking class is designed for you. Your lesson is for a duration of 5 months, after which you get a certificate.
- Basic Cookery: Classes under this level is for new learners. The session also focuses on food presentation and kitchen fundamentals.
Other lessons offered in CMK include basic baking, professional cookery, and Nigerian cookery. Tuition fee ranges from ₦120,000 for 1-month basic cookery to ₦1,200,000 for a 9 months culinary arts diploma.
Food Perfect Institute Of Culinary Arts
Quite a lot of schools go beyond just catering and the culinary arts. Especially if your focus is in hotels, you will need to go to institutions that also offer courses in hotel management.
If you find catering, hotel management and other hospitality services interesting, then you should consider taking classes in this school.
Founded in 2014, the academy offers a great learning experience with its well-accrued array of catering courses.
Located in Rumuogba, Port Harcourt Nigeria, they offer training for learners interested in gaining the following experience:
- Diploma in Hospitality: The school offers lessons for students who are interested in honing their skills in the hospitality industry. Technically, classes under this training are designed for learners who are interested in being chefs, kitchen assistants, hotel attendants or waiters.
- Diploma in Pastries: The school also offers lessons in pastries. Students who enjoy the experience of making pastries can take classes within the school. In their lessons, they will acquire new and old recipes that make up modern and classic baking ideologies.
The school also offer consultancy service for businesses interested in the culinary arts, as well as event planning and management service.
Auma College of Culinary Arts
Auma college handles culinary arts and management courses for new, intermediate and advanced learners. Located at Okilton drive, here's a list of some of their courses:
- Bake and Pastry
- Culinary Arts - Amateur lesson
- Sauce Lesson
- Diploma in Culinary Arts - Basic and advanced lesson
Each course is designed for learners who intend to use what they have learned from their sessions for business or recreational purposes. Required courses for each section usually has a duration between 1 week to a year.
Topearl Catering Institute
Topearl Institute is situated in Fimeama, Port Harcourt Nigeria. The core of their lesson focuses on catering, tourism, and hospitality management (hotel management). Other services include interior decoration and Fashion and Design.
Established in 2002, the institute offers quality training in catering and hospitality management. If you'd like to start a lesson at the institute, here are some of the courses they offer:
- Foodservice operations: During your lesson, you'll discover everything about food management. As a student, you'll discover the many methods of operations and services in different hospitality businesses. Additionally, you'll gain insight into the management of staff, effective preparation, how to maintain operating and sale information and the use and control of resources.
Other lesson options include:
- Front office operations
Landmark Catering Institute
Established in 1987, the institute has trained several professionals in the hospitality field. The school is based in Rumuola Rd and offers sessions in the following courses:
- Catering and Hotel Management: Courses in this class is designed for learners who have little or basic knowledge of the hospitality industry. The level of focus is on beginners and amateurs.
- Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management: This is an NBTE (National Board for Technical Education) / university class. The courses under this section are designed to train and impart the necessary skill for learners to kickstart their professional career in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
Other courses offered by Landmark Catering Institute include:
- Tourism Management.
- Housekeeping management.
Of course, the option of schools that we have listed above isn't the only ones available in the state. Other schools located in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, include:
- Sovise-Cook-Bake Culinary School
- Creative Angels Catering School
Having an array of schools to work with is a great way of starting your career as a chef.
Private Cooking Classes Port Harcourt (Face to face or online classes via webcam)
Many learners who intend to start a business or work as chefs in several approved hotels, restaurants, etc across the country may not enjoy group sessions as much as a live webcam or home sessions.
Technically aside approved cookery institutions, the live webcam and face to face home teaching option are very viable for interested learners.
For one, your home session provides more opportunities for each student to practice at their own pace. Your instructor usually offers an individualised teaching system where each class is taught to fit your learning experience.
Additionally, private face to face sessions can be a lot more affordable than in-school sessions. You will also get the required tips needed to help grow your business.
How do you come across competent instructors with the best teaching services?
For cooking classes near me, your two main ways are through referrals from past learners and schools or through tutoring platforms like Superprof.
For the former, there's a high chance that there may be less competition in your area. It means that you'll be surrounded by a teacher or a few teachers who have good reviews and others with very little good reviews or profile. Technically, you may be required to pay higher, especially if you intend to start a business soon or if any other immediate issues occur.
Using tutoring platforms such as Superprof, for example, allows you to profile an array of chefs/cooking instructors on the site. Many of the teachers under Superprof can either come to your home or you go theirs for your cooking classes. They also offer live webcam sessions.
During your live webcam sessions, you can discuss exciting tips that can make your meal a lot more unique. Perhaps one of the best things about getting instructors from Superprof is the ease of getting them. Besides, 95% of Superprof's instructors offer their first session for free. You get to enjoy the benefits of private sessions while choosing the best instructor for you.
Of course, there are certain criteria you need to look out for in your instructor. Here are some tips to guide you in making the right choices:
- You should review the profile of your instructor. If you're a beginner, you need to work with an instructor who prefers to teach your level.
- After you review your teacher's profile, you need to ensure that their teaching practices are in tune with your understanding of the course. It will help you as you advance in your classes.
Discover exciting recipes and rejuvenate your old recipes by learning to cook with Superprof.
Explore more cooking classes within different states in Nigeria: