While the use of private webcam tutorials has been in existence for a great number of years, some tutors in Nigeria aren't still knowledgeable on how to assess these services or to get started.
But don’t worry, because we are here to help you start your online tutoring jobs.
When it comes to the private teaching profession, technology has really helped to make the task easier and more fun.
A tutor can now interact with their tutees anywhere in Nigeria or even outside the country. This can now be done without a need to commute from one location to another, leading to both an increase in weekly cost and time lost in commuting. With technology and the help of online tutoring, there will be no more excuses that your target students are too far away to travel on a regular basis or that it isn’t viable to offer the academic tutoring at your home.
When it comes to this type of private teaching jobs, everything changes, including how you speak to the students, the materials used and how you are going to prepare for the lessons. All you need is a firm grip with new digital technologies which most Montessori and private schools in Nigeria are now using.
With these technologies such as webcam, Skype, Zoom and other video technologies, you’ll be able to teach the students, help them with their assignments, revisions and to also motivate them using all these technologies.
Where Can You Find Online Tutoring Jobs?
When we talk about online tutoring jobs, we are not talking about online courses such as National Open Universities or Courses but rather an online one-on-one private tutoring.
Here, the private tutor teaches Mathematics, English, Physic, Chemistry, Accounting, Philosophy, Drumming or Guitars lessons online. Notwithstanding the subject you are going to be teaching, it can be done online.
Online tutoring jobs can be found on different tutoring websites in Nigeria, such as the Superprof NG. These platforms and tutoring companies allow you to use their platform to offer your service online, find students and get paid anywhere in Nigeria or the world in general.
It is important to note that tutorial services do not end in teaching just conventional classroom subjects but also involves offering coaching and mentorship services, career advising, academic support, dance or other supplementary tuition online.
It may also include developing yourself as a private educator and building your online presence in the cyberspace.
Whatever way you decide to go as an academic tutor online, the major thing to focus on is helping students to improve their study skills, prepare for examination or to help them with test prep for specific entrance examinations such as Unitary Schools Entrance Examinations, JAMB Exam, WAEC Exam, and Job Interviews Etc.
All these services can be offered on Superprof, as it is a great platform to start up your tutoring journey.
It does not matter if you wish to offer face-to-face or online lessons or you even want to offer both concurrently, all you have to do is to set up your tutor profile on Superprof, create a teaching ad to get verified and then wait for the students request to start pouring in.
When setting up your profile, remember to detail out your skills, educational background, relevant qualifications and any other experience that may add more spice to your profile.
Tutoring websites like Superprof is a great platform for individuals that want to go full time as a private tutor or people looking for a part-time job as an instructor.
In Superprof, you are allowed the freedom to set up your hourly fee when creating your profile. The fee should be on par with your experience and what other tutors in your niche charge so as not to go out of the competition.
Another good feature of this platform is that it allows users to leave a review of previous engagement or jobs. These help good tutors to stand out and establish themselves in the tutoring community while building a good reputation online.
Basic Tools Needed for Online Tutoring
Before you dive into the online tutoring jobs, it’s important to know which tools you’ll need in discharging your lessons. Some of these tools include
- A Portable Computer System: This is one of the basic requirements needed in starting up as a private tutor online. Make sure that you have a good laptop or desktop PC, which is powerful enough to run different programs such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and any other program that you will need during the lecture.
- Internet Connection: A strong internet connection is another important requirement that will be needed during an online session—this help to connect you to your students or clients anywhere in the world. A strong connection helps the sessions to run smoothly.
- Webcam and Microphone: These features are central to your seamless communication between you and the students. It is essential that you invest in a good and quality visual and speaking equipment such as a headset to reduce the likelihood of technical issues which may interrupt or delay the lesson.
- Video-Sharing Technologies: A good number of online video technologies exist now and can easily be downloaded from the app stores for free. These apps such as Skype, Zoom, Google Hangouts, Facetime, Slack and others allow you to do voice and video chat with your students using your tablets, Smartphone or PC. All that you will need to do is to create an account and a join in-link that the students can use to call and chat live with you.
- Payment Medium: Tutors in Nigeria can set up different payment mediums to receive their fees after the end of the session. This can be through Payoneer, PayPal, World Remit or setting up an escrow. These options are mostly simple and easy to setup. With this, you don't need to give your bank details to your students or clients.
- Online Resources: You can make use of other online resources such as file storage and cloud services (Dropbox) and Podio or Fusioo for planning task. Other resources that can be handy for your online tutoring jobs as a private teacher is online video libraries such as YouTube.
Online Teaching Resources To Improve your Teaching Jobs
To be the best in your profession, you will need to have the best resources at your disposal. Whether you are preparing for a class for primary school students or university students, there are tons of online educational resources that are readily available for you to use.
These resources help you to organize your lessons and lectures online before the teaching proper.
Some of the educational resources that are available to help you teach your students online include
- Free Educational Apps for Smartphone such as Babbel, Duolingo Etc.
- Specialized sites for different subjects and courses such as Khan Academy for free mathematics lessons
- Content for national and international examinations such as IELTS Practice Tests
- MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
- Free online video courses from YouTube
By being organized and prepared, you can easily tailor your tutorials to each student's needs.
Benefits of Online Tutoring
Online tutoring comes with numerous benefits to both the private tutor and the tutee. These benefits include
- Less Time Travelling: Online tutorial saves you time in travelling from one location to the other. You no longer get stuck in traffic jams after school rush hour, which is the perfect time for giving private lessons. In the online tutorial route, all you need to do is to relax in front of your computer in your office or living room and wait for the tutee to return from school and log into the visual classroom.
- No Geographical Limitations: Online private tutorials can be given anywhere in the world. It doesn't matter your location or your student's location, as long as you have a connected computer or Smartphone, you are good to go.
- Economical: The online route is more economical for both the tutor and the tutee. There will not be any more need for travel costs, petrol or parking space fees. All you will need is your basic cost for internet or WiFi.
- Flexibility: With the help of the online tutorial mode, you can offer more classes in a day. Your schedule is 100% up to you to manage. Here, you can work as little or as much as you want. It’s all up to you to decide.
How to Startup the Online Tutorial
Now that you have a better idea about the different options and tools available to you as a private tutor setting up the business is now the next step to making money.
In setting up the tutorial agency as a personal business, you must take cognizance of the following factors.
- Name of the Business: This is always the first part about becoming a private tutor.
- Advert: Getting your name out there is always the hardest part about becoming a professional private tutor. It is important, therefore, to know how to market yourself to your potential clients.
- Creating a Website: If you are not working with other franchised platform as a partner, it is important to create a professional-looking website with a good search engine optimization. You can also place your Ad on other websites and forums such as Nairaland to capture your potential target attention.
- Simplicity: This is a key point to note when designing your tutoring advert or website. You don’t wish to overwhelm or even bore them when they come in contact with your advertisement. Keep it short and stick to the information that you need to pass.
- Price: Determine a competitive price that will not push you out from the market. Do a market survey to ascertain what the other competitors are charging as it relates to their experience and expertise.
Is Online Tutorial Effective?
Yes, online teaching is as effective as the face-to-face teaching method. At platforms such as Superprof, all our tutors offer a free tutoring session for the first contact.
This gives the tutee the chance to access the tutor and find out if the tutor is the right choice for them, and if learning online works for them as well.
For individuals that are completely new to this form of teaching, offering a free trial lesson is also an excellent way to ascertain whether the online route is worth your time.
Like some students may not be comfortable with this medium, most tutors simply don’t get along with teaching their students via these online mediums. To them, the online route simply doesn’t suit their style of teaching or the subject they teach.
So what’s the difference between the home tutorial and the online services?
It is just the fact that you are not sitting right beside your student – But remember that you can still see them, talk to them and follow the same learning methodology in passing your information.
The platform that connects tutors and students