As a subject of study, chemistry is encompassing and captures the multi-faceted nature of chemicals in our environment. The air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, and the minerals we explore and exploit are all chemicals.
Career opportunities within the physical and biological sciences see unprecedented growth globally, and those who study chemistry at university now have increasingly better career prospects.
Chemistry involves the study of all chemical processes of living and non-living things. This involves chemical compositions, chemical processes, and chemical manipulation.
The study of chemistry helps you understand how materials are structured, how they change, and how they react in different situations.
To gain chemical experience involves understanding chemicals at the molecular level and ways in which one can apply this knowledge in day-to-day life activities.
Therefore, it is necessary to find out where you can learn chemistry in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, at different levels of learning.
Learning Chemistry at a Lesson Center in Port Harcourt
Starting in the field of chemistry involves understanding the basics of chemicals and how they interact with one another.
Many higher institutions such as universities and polytechnics offer pre-science programs and JUBEP programs for people wishing to foray into the chemistry department at the university level.
But presently, they are specialized institutes and centers that offer evening lessons, revision, or tuition for individuals wishing to learn about chemistry or preparing for WAEC, NECO, G.C.E., JAMB, or Post-UTME.
Here are some of the lesson centers in Port Harcourt where one can get additional help, tutorials and revisions. There'll suitable for students who are struggling with basic secondary school chemistry.
- The Obiye Academy Unique Tutorial and Study Abroad Consulting is a specialized foundation that is fully structured to meet students' tutoring needs. This academy optimizes international best practices geared towards excellence. The tutoring center provides one of the best nursery, primary, and secondary education for young elites that this country's future can be entrusted into. The center reckons with when it comes to tutoring for the national examinations such as WAEC, JAMB, G.C.E., and Post-UTME. The center also offers international examinations such as TOEFL, S.A.T., GRE, IELTS, and IGCSE. The academy prepares students for A-level examination and helps students struggling with subjects such as Chemistry. The tutorial for the JAMB UTME/WAEC usually commences by OCTOBER and run through to when the WAEC/JAMB examination commenced fully by March/April. The center charge ₦ 3000 to ₦ 5000 for tutorial registration per month.
- The Pathfinder Tutorial center offers group tuition in small classes for individuals preparing and sitting for WEAC, JAMB, and Post-UTME examination with accelerated courses for revisions during the school holiday. There also offers lessons for S.S. 1 to S.S. 2 for students wanting to consolidate their science knowledge before embarking on their SSCE examination.
- Unique Education Center is another popular tutorial center for individuals in secondary school seeking to improve their Chemistry knowledge. In the center, you will be taught different topics ranging from basic atomic structure, the periodic table, quantitative chemistry, chemical bonding, chemical reactions, chemical analysis, organic chemistry, and inorganic compounds, including environmental chemistry.
Study Chemistry Courses at University Level in Rivers State
For individuals wishing to study chemistry or to become chemists in the future, and those seeking for where they can study new compounds and break new grounds in chemistry - then there is a need to study chemistry up to the university level.
There are different universities in Rivers State that have a chemistry department where people can study chemistry up to the Ph. D. level.
Some list of higher institutions in Rivers State include
- University of Port Harcourt
- Rivers State University
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education
- PAMO University of Medical Sciences
- Federal College of Education
- Institute of Petroleum Studies
- Rivers State College of Arts and Science
- Rivers State College of Education
- Rivers State Polytechnic – Bori
At least three different universities in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, have a department of chemistry.
- University of Port Harcourt
- Rivers State University
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education
Studying Chemistry at the University of Port Harcourt
The University of Port Harcourt offers Pure and Industrial Chemistry at the undergraduate, graduate, and even postgraduate research levels.
The Pure and Industrial Chemistry of the University of Port Harcourt aims to be ranked amongst the best department in Africa. It's renowned for its teaching, research, creativity, and innovation.
To enter an undergraduate program at the University of Port Harcourt, there is a need for the student to have
- At least five ordinary credit passes in WASC, NECO SSCE or WAEC SSCE/GCE or
- At least five merit passes in teachers grade 11 certificate examination (TC11) or any other recognized equivalent at not more than two sittings.
- The required subjects include English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and either Biology or Agricultural Sciences.
As a first-year student at the University of Port Harcourt, you will cover subjects such as reactivity and chemistry, practical chemistry, biochemistry basics, and environmental chemistry.
At other levels, you will be taught different topics ranging from physical chemistry, organic molecule structure and reactivity, biology and bioethics, spectroscopy, and separations.
Others include organic synthesis, nuclear chemistry, biophysical, and bioorganic chemistry undergraduate research project.
Remember that you are to go for an Industrial Experience in your second semester third year. This includes distance learning while you are in an industrial placement.
For postgraduate research program at the University of Port Harcourt, the university's research program includes Ph.D., MPhil, or MSc by Research. You decide on a research project that you will see through to your degree.
Study Chemistry at Rivers State University
Like other Pure Science and Applied Science Departments, the Department of Chemistry helps to provide a basis for students to gain knowledge and understanding of the principles of Chemistry and Chemical Technology.
The Chemistry Department of the Rivers State University supplements its training with courses in Mathematics, Physic, Biology, and other Foundation Studies such as Philosophy, History, Use of English, Etc.
The Department of Chemistry of Rivers State University was established in the early '70s as the then Rivers State College of Science and Technology pioneer department.
The Department was initially set up to prepare students for the General Certificate in Education (G.C.E.) at the advanced level and the University Interim Joint Matriculation Board Examination.
Later, the Diploma Certificate in Chemistry was added to the existing programs.
Become a Chemistry Teacher in Port Harcourt Rivers State
Most individuals are getting more eager to study chemistry to work as a researcher in a laboratory or with pharmaceutical firms in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
But other groups of individuals just love chemistry. They would love to learn the basics of chemistry to enable them to teach this intriguing subject at junior secondary and senior secondary school levels.
Some schools in River State, such as the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, have a department for academic chemistry and offers University level chemistry courses for prospective chemistry teachers.
The Department of Chemistry started at the inception of the College of Education on August 2, 1971.
Presently, the Department of Chemistry boasts of two well-equipped laboratories that are used to assist students in practical classes and to teach them how to make use of laboratory equipment.
In addition to the basics of general chemistry taught in the lecture halls, you will still learn how to plan your classes, set tests, and grade papers as a professional teacher.
The objectives of this department include
- To produce Chemistry teachers who are committed to the teaching profession.
- To produce Chemistry teachers who have a sound master of chemistry problem, solving skills that would enable them to also work in the industry.
- To produce Chemistry teachers with a practical, intellectual, and professional background, adequate to enable them to impart their students' knowledge.
- To produce Chemistry teachers who can pursue further studies either in Chemistry, Chemistry Education, or any of Education Foundations' options.
Finding a Private Chemistry Tutor in Port Harcourt, Rivers State
Becoming proficient in chemistry can be a tasking task due to the many formulas, chemicals, and equations that one is expected to know. This often requires one to look for a private tutor that can put the person through some of the complicated and difficult parts of the subject.
Taking classes with a private tutor is a good way to stay ahead.
The advantage of this route is that you will be able to adapt the classes to your schedule and needs rather than follow a set curriculum. Working with a private tutor also allows you to concentrate on only a particular aspect of chemistry rather than studying every part of chemistry for those who want to study for fun.
The only drawback to this is that your tutor might not have a lab at home or find a place to rent one for the classes. However, a tutor can help with the theoretical aspects of chemistry and allow you to learn more intensively.
To hire a professional and verified tutor – check the Superprof platform. It has hundreds of approved chemistry tutors who offer their first lesson free which helps you in finding the perfect tutor for you without any long-term commitment.