Along with physics and other biological courses, chemistry is one of the three main arms of science courses compulsory for science students in secondary schools and university.
It is the study of matter, its structure, its properties, and how it reacts and changes when exposed to different situations.
Chemical processes and the composition of elements play a large part in studying living organisms and matters as it relates to forces.
Studies have shown an overlap between chemistry and other science subjects as the origins of this discipline lies in alchemy's ancient art.
However, most students keep struggling with the subject –therefore requiring additional help from tutors that are knowledgeable of the subject matter.
This article will show you some steps to follow when preparing for your external examinations as a secondary school student or schools where you can study chemistry at an advance level.
Preparing for your SSCEs and JAMB in Secondary Schools
Having a good mark in chemistry at school is a good step for individuals wishing to apply for medicine or any other science courses at Nigeria University. Finding a good chemistry tutoring center in Abuja would mean passing your WAEC, GCE, NECO, JAMB, or Post-UTME.
So it is imperative that for one to improve his or her chance of getting admitted into higher institutions in Nigeria, there is a need to improve on one's chemistry performance.
Chemistry Courses at WAEC and JAMB Level
When preparing for any external examination as a secondary school student in Nigeria, it is often expedient to involve the services of lesson centers and agencies.
Here in Abuja, we have some institutions that offer opportunities for this chemistry class. Some of this include
- Excellent Tutorial Center is a tutorial center in Abuja. The agency is designed to prepare students for WAEC, NECO, GCE, UTME, POST UTME, IGCSE, GCSE, and CAMBRIDGE. There also prepare students for specialized exams like Cambridge Secondary Checkpoint, Cambridge primary Checkpoint, Cambridge progression, SAT 1& 2 TOEFL, IELTS GRE, GMAT. There teach the students topics in chemistry such as atomic structure, formulae, reactivity series of metals, organic chemistry, and rates of reaction in the lesson classes.
- EduLight Institute is a language institute that also helps to prepare students waiting to write their external examinations such as WECE, NECO, JAMB, Post-UTME and other examination that requires one to prepare for and pass chemistry examination and other science subjects.
- Crystal Link offers organized and intensive tutorials in a conducive learning environment. The classroom tutorials in different subjects such as chemistry take place at their center. These cover all topics such as atoms moles formulae and equations, isotopes of an atom, periodic table, organic compounds like butane, propane, methane, acid-base, and salts. Others include physical properties of elements and their variations, electrolysis, chemical thermodynamics, kinetic theory of matter, organic chemistry, and other topics covered by JAMB and WAEC.
Evening Lessons Classes in Abuja
Abuja boasts of numerous evening schools and lesson centers in Abuja. This is a wonderful way for people wishing to learn about chemistry to have first-hand and in-depth knowledge about the subject.
It helps the students to know if chemistry is what they really want to study in a higher institution.
These classes cover children aged between 13-18 years and evening programs for mature people who were not opportune to attend higher institutions. Hundreds of evening lessons classes abound in Abuja. Some of the prominent ones that you can try out in Abuja include:
Comprehensive Tutorial Centre – located at Byazhin Kubwa Primary School, Behind Water Board, Bwari, 901101, Abuja, Ivory Gate Education Centre – located at FHA Lugbe Abuja, Mack IV Educational Services – Center – located at 14, KUMASI CRESCENT, OFF Aminu Kano Cres, Wuse 2, Abuja.
Others include Zion Study Centre – located at Noghama Shopping Plaza, Inside Total Filling Station 2/2 Junction, Kubwa, Abuja, FCT, and BRIX ACADEMY – located at No.2, Etang Obuli Crescent, Opposite Jabi primary school, 900211, FCT Abuja
Learning Chemistry at Higher Institutions in Abuja
Abuja is a great city where one can learn chemistry at an advanced level. The city boast of different higher institutions such as
- University of Abuja
- Nile University of Nigeria
- National Open University of Nigeria
- Veritas University Abuja
- Baze University Abuja
- African University of Science and Technology
- Aspire College of Technology
However, Abuja has a number of ranking universities offering courses in chemistry. As a prospective student, it’s not always easy to decide where to go. Here are a few things you can look into when trying to choose the right university for you in the Abuja metropolitan area:
- Tuition Fees: Remember that tuition fees vary from one higher institution to another in Abuja. The private university tuition fees are often higher than the government institutions such as the University of Abuja.
- Faculties: It is important to determine the area of chemistry that the school offers. What are their speciality, and which area of chemistry would you be loving to specialize in if you intend to further your master or doctorate program. But if you are not sure of the area, you will go for; you can take general chemistry during your Bachelor's degree and then specialized later.
- Interdisciplinary offers: Does the faculty offer any interdisciplinary courses for their students such as biochemistry, physics, and other related disciplines
- Postgraduate Courses: Does the school offer a postgraduate course, or are you expected to continue your postgraduate studies elsewhere?
Take organic chemistry tutorial on Superprof NG.
General Chemistry Courses at a University
When looking for your prospective campuses, here are a few higher institutions (Universities, Polytechnics, or College of Educations) that you can enroll in for your chemistry degree at an undergraduate or postgraduate level. There all have tuition that lasts for four years, culminating in a Bachelor:
Some of these higher institutions located in Abuja include
Chemistry Courses at the University of Abuja
The University of Abuja offers a four-year program for its Bachelor's degree in chemistry and a master's and a doctorate program in different chemistry areas.
Some of the courses that the university offers for their postgraduate study under the department of chemistry includes
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
Nile University of Nigeria
The Nile University of Nigeria has a college of natural science positioned to provide world-class science education to its students. The college houses the faculty of chemistry, which offers the course only at the postgraduate level (M.Sc. and PhD).
The doctor of science program in industrial chemistry is designed to prepare students at an advanced level of applied chemistry.
The department of industrial chemistry of the university focuses on
- Food and drug chemistry
- Natural products exploitation
- Petroleum and gas
- Analytical chemistry
- Applied spectroscopy
- Miscellaneous materials
The Master's degree program lasts for a minimum of two years while the doctorate program lasts for a minimum of three years.
The entry requirement for the PhD program includes
- A candidate who possesses a first-class honors degree in Chemistry or a related subject is qualified for admission to the PhD program in Industrial chemistry.
- The related subject could be Biochemistry or Chemical Engineering. However, for each case, enough courses, including those considered pre-requisites, must have been taken at the preceding degree level.
- Along with these conditions, the candidate must also satisfy the general conditions laid down by the University for Postgraduate Admission.
- A candidate with a master's degree in chemistry from the Nile University of Nigeria or any other approved institution with an average grade point (CGPA) of 3.50 or equivalent.
Veritas University Abuja
The department of industrial chemistry of the university is set up to explain nature: structure, composition, the properties, and the laws that govern the characteristics of matter.
The degree offered in this department is B.Sc. (Industrial Chemistry).
The objective of this program is to
- Create awareness in students of the vast natural resources endowed to man in our environment for exploitation chemically for man's development.
- Produce teachers in Chemistry at the secondary school level and prepare them for higher degree courses in chemical sciences.
Some topics you are to learn includes Radiochemistry and Nuclear Chemistry, Applied Spectroscopy, Chemical Kinetics, Environmental Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Applied Surface and Colloid Chemistry, Hetrocyclics and Carbocyclics, Polymer Chemistry Etc.
Start taking extra-curricular chemistry lessons today.
Learning Chemistry with a Private Tutor
Since chemistry requires a lab for practical experimentation, it is expedient, therefore, to find a tutor that will be able to teach you both the theoretical and practical aspects of the subject.
You might be lucky to find a tutor that has a home lab where you can visit or even rent a space for your chemistry lessons. This could either be at a school lab or a university lab.
However, a professional chemistry private tutor will help you to know all the basics of chemistry, which consist of the equations, formulae, transition metals, periodic table of elements, and every other thing that you need to know about the field of chemistry.
When it comes to theories and calculations, a private tutor is ideal. The tutor can teach you one-on-one by coming to your house, his house, or any other location. You can also learn through the online route by learning via Skype or Zoom. The advantage of hiring a private tutor is that the class can be adapted to your schedule and pace.
Remember that studying under a private tutor might not help you get a job in a laboratory, but it will help you to master your undergraduate or postgraduate courses and improve your grades while preparing for your WAEC, JAMB, or Post-UTME examination.
To hire a private tutor is quite easy in Abuja since you can walk into any of those universities mentioned above to see if an undergraduate or graduate student will be willing to teach you for a few extra Naira.
Another easier route to meet verified and experienced chemistry tutors are to connect with tutors on the Superprof platform willing to offer their services at ₦1000-₦2500 per hour and the student pass gives you the advantage of accessing an unlimited number of tutors who offer their first class free which helps to assess the teacher without commitment.
Improve your skill with online chemistry courses.