- 01. How to Set Your Rates as a Tutor?
- 02. Does Location Affects Rates for Home Tutoring Jobs
- 03. Preparation Time in Tuition Jobs Rates
- 04. How does Experience affect your Rates as a Tutor?
- 05. Tutoring Jobs Rates by Subjects
- 06. Charging according to the student level
- 07. Charging according to Qualifications as a Tutor
- 08. Web-Based Tutoring Jobs Vs. Face-to-Face Classes
Studies have shown a boom in demand for private tutors in Nigeria. This is due to the competitiveness now in entering unity schools and Universities in Nigeria.
In relation to the law of demand and supply, an increase in demand will lead to an increase in supply.
Where there’s demand, supply isn’t far behind!
As private teachers' demand increases, an increasing number of unsatisfied teachers either in government or private schools are moving into the private tuition field.
The hourly rates generally range from ₦1000 to ₦2500 in different parts of Nigeria and up to ₦5000 in some big cities such as Lagos and Abuja.
Teaching professions are quite stimulating and lucrative for ex-teachers and undergraduate looking for an extra source of income.
But it is important to note that tutoring jobs aren't meant just for teachers.
Artists and certified life and business coaches are also involved in private tutoring to support their artistic pursuits.
How to Set Your Rates as a Tutor?
The price to set as a private tutor is a function of different variables. How well you develop yourself academically and mentally helps you to stand out like a boss.
The amount you advertise on your profile should reflect different factors, including your experience, qualification, location, and level of the student.
In setting this price, make sure that it reflects what other competitors are setting.
Setting too low makes you not to be taken seriously, and too high will make you be outpriced from the market.
Does Location Affects Rates for Home Tutoring Jobs
The demand for the tutoring lesson is a function of demand and supply for tutors. What a tutor in Abuja or Lagos charges will be different from what a private tutor in Abeokuta might charge.
Experience private teachers take advantage of the social inequalities in Nigeria in deciding what to charge. It is essential to understand that not all states and cities in Nigeria are on an even footing when it comes to tuition rates.
On average, Superprof tutor's prices reflect this gap. A tutor teaching in capital cities charges an hourly rate of ₦1000 to ₦2500, whereas those in the less developed towns charges ₦500 to ₦1500
But to make more income, it is necessary to widen your audience by offering online tutoring jobs to enable you to market your services to anybody living in Nigeria.
Preparation Time in Tuition Jobs Rates
Tutoring rates do not necessarily mean the amount charged per hour – but also includes the time spent preparing for the class.
Most tutors spend one to two hours preparing for a one hour class with a student, which should be factored into the total hourly rate.
Preparation time for different subjects and skills varies, and these differences determine the amount to charge.
Some of the preparation time variables to factor in include
- Sourcing for resources for the class
- Planning the day's lesson
- Collating questions for text and homework
- Marking home works
- Making correcting
- Reviewing the student's progress
A teacher charging ₦1500 per hour for a class that requires one hour of preparation will actually be earning ₦750 per hour.
Note that in Superprof, no commission is paid to the platform. Therefore, there is no need for higher charges or unnecessary calculations and percentages.
How does Experience affect your Rates as a Tutor?
Experience is another factor that has a part to play in the amount a tutor is expected to charge per hour. Also, ensure that the services that you offer merit the rates that you charge your students.
Albert Einstein stated that "The only source of knowledge is experience."
Therefore, the more experience you have, the more rates that you can charge. A good example is a language teacher that is experienced in teaching English. This English tutor can be categorized into three different levels. These are
- Native Speakers: These are language tutors from the country that they are teaching. These native speakers are the most sought-after and paid well. These tutors can teach all the language's nitty-gritty, such as idioms and subtleties of the given language. Students learn quickly when they learn from native speakers, which makes them charge higher than other language tutors.
- Qualified Language Tutors: This set of teachers studied the language extensively either in the university or in language schools. Others might be those that lived and worked in the country where the language is spoken. These are advanced in the speaking and hearing of the language and may speak as good as a native speaker. There often charge a substantial hourly rate.
- Student Tutors: These tutors offer both private tuition and linguistic studies. These tutors are less qualified and experience but their enthusiasm and highly motivated rates cover-up for these shortcomings. These categories of tutors offer lesser rates and are ideal for students on a budget.
Tutoring Jobs Rates by Subjects
Setting a competitive price is a great way of attracting prospective clients. But don't make the mistake of underpricing yourself to attract students as this will end up making your clients undervalue your services
Make sure that your price is not too high nor too low. Your hourly rates should be reasonable and affordable without you seeming cheap.
When it comes down to offering school support in the market, it should be fairly competitive.
To help you determine your hourly rates in Nigeria, Superprof has made a list of the average price rates most tutors on the platform charges.
Chemistry ₦ 1500- ₦4000
Economics ₦1500- ₦4500
Physics ₦2000- ₦5000
Biology ₦1500- ₦4500
Mathematics ₦2500- ₦5000
Geography ₦500- ₦3000
English ₦500- ₦5000
History ₦500- ₦2000
French ₦1000- ₦5000
Arabic ₦1000- ₦4500
Mandarin ₦1000- ₦5000
Russian ₦1000- ₦5000
German ₦1000- ₦5000
Spanish ₦1000- ₦5000
ICAN ₦2500- ₦5000
Tax Law ₦2500- ₦5000
Criminal Law ₦2000- ₦4000
Civil Law ₦2000- ₦4500
Financial Accounting ₦1000- ₦4000
Cost Accounting ₦1000- ₦4500
Psychology ₦1500- ₦5000
Philosophy ₦1500- ₦4000
Sociology ₦1000- ₦4000
Piano ₦1000- ₦5000
Guitar ₦1000- ₦4500
Trumpet ₦1000- ₦4000
Drum ₦1000- ₦5000
Violin ₦1000- ₦4500
How much you end up charging should depend on different variables to enable you to easily adjust your price according to your qualification, location, experience, lesson formats, and the student's level of knowledge.
Charging according to the student level
While you are considering the subject and your experience level, the next factor to consider is your student’s educational level when fixing your tutoring rates.
These students' levels can be categorized into three levels.
- The Beginner’s Class: These tutees learning level cost lower than the other levels. Beginner classes are mostly pre-primary, primary, and post-secondary school students looking to discover the subject's basics. There are individuals still new to their skills. Their major aim is to learn about the basics.
- Intermediate Classes: Individuals in the intermediate level of learning have a working knowledge of the subjects' basics or skills. There are just looking to develop their skill under the tutelage of a teacher. The rates of this class are usually the average price charge in the market.
- Advanced classes: These are students looking to perfect their skills and develop on their existing knowledge base. The students are mostly at the advanced level of their study and require very experienced and qualified tutors. Teachers in the field generally require more preparation, which accounts for their higher price tag.
Charging according to Qualifications as a Tutor
Clients and students often believe that qualifications and certifications are evidence of vast knowledge. Therefore, having a university degree will help to boost your hourly earning capability.
Therefore an expert tutor with a PhD in the subject he/she teaches will charge or garner more pay than an undergraduate tutor.
A professional drummer with qualification and a diploma in drumming will earn more per hour than an unqualified drummer.
But note that qualification is not only the ultimate - an experienced and decorated musician who has no certification might earn more than another with all the certification but no experience or popularity.
Therefore, it is important to balance qualification with other variables when setting up your hourly rate as a tutor.
Web-Based Tutoring Jobs Vs. Face-to-Face Classes
The online route is a growing trend in private tutoring since it is easy to set-up, and a new tutor can easily start-up by registering with an agency or platform such as Superprof.
With this online medium's innovative nature, many tutors and tutees in Nigeria now prefer this interactive and web-based learning style.
It is quite convenient, and you can meet thousands of students in a different location.
The route is also more flexible as you are not tied to just a particular client or location. Online tutoring eliminates travel cost and time, therefore allowing you to charge lesser than the one-on-one classes.
All you will need is a computer or a Smartphone with internet connectivity.
The face-to-face is the more conventional means of earning. Most individuals still believe that a webcam cannot substitute the physical presence of a tutor, and this is mostly for beginner's class or some subjects that require one-on-one interaction.
The drawback to this route is that it is limited to a particular location, high travel costs and time, and less flexibility.
Remember to consider all these variables when setting up your tuition fees or rates as you sojourn into the teaching jobs in other to breakeven and make some profit while still satisfying your clients.
The platform that connects tutors and students