Quite a lot of Nigerians, especially the accounting novices believe you cannot take accounting classes anywhere asides from Lagos and Abuja. If it exists, then they are likely quacks or do not meet the accounting standards.
Most people have made a utopia out of these states. Both places are considered as the haven for commercial activities and as well, the go-to area for professional accounting courses.
Far from this falsehood, Enugu is bursting with professional talents as well as tutors. Your experience as you start your career in accounting is no different from what you'll have in other states.
Just as in other states, Enugu offers professional classes in accounting to beginners, entry-level accountants, mid-level accountants, and professionals. In this article, we will be giving you tips on different accounting classes and the places you can study them in Enugu.
The Accounting Career Path
If you were to ask some Nigerian children what professions they would like to go for as an adult, few would ever mention the word ''accountant.'' Some university or polytechnic graduates got a degree in accounting because they didn't make the cutoff marks of their desired courses.
For accounting, its career pathway is still underrated in the Nigerian society. Quite a lot of people do not understand how you can even make money as an accountant, not to mention the stereotypes attached to the physique of accountants. The list is endless.
However, for people who have an eye for calculations, choosing to be a professional accountant is a great idea. For starters, your average salary as an entry-level accountant is higher than the national minimum salary wage of employees. Additionally, it is one of the few professions where you can improve your professionalism through accounting professional classes, experience, and qualifications.
Since it is a less saturated market, your chances of getting a great job are high, especially when you have a reasonable amount of experience, a growing portfolio, and certifications.
Accounting Classes in Enugu
For Secondary School Certificate holders and people who would like to have a degree in accounting, you should register into one of these Federal and State Higher institutions:
The University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) is a federal university in Enugu that offers admission into Accounting. The curriculum designed gives students a broad knowledge of business as well as their specific field in Accounting. The University has two modes of admission into the degree program. The first is for University and Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) admission. The second is the Direct Entry. If you would like to study accounting under the institution, here are the requirements:
- To gain admission into the four-year B.Sc. Accounting Degree program through UTME, you should have the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) or the General Certification of Education (GCE) Ordinary level or an equivalent qualification. You're to have acquired credit passes in at least five subjects that must include English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any of the following subjects - Commerce, Government or Bookkeeping & Accounts. These qualifications are expected to be obtained in not more than two sittings.
- Direct Entry Admission seekers should have acquired five credit passes in the GCE or equivalent examination. Credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Economics. OND certificate holders should have at least an upper credit grade in addition to the five credit passes. HND degree holders are required to have at least lower credit in addition to the five credit passes. While the NCE certificate holders are to have a merit level pass in addition to the five credit passes.
- Students who transferred from other universities with related and relevant courses will be admitted on the basis that they have a GPA of at least 3.5 and have O'level credit passes in English and Mathematics.
- Students who transferred within the university are expected to have credit passes in Mathematics and English. Additionally, they must have completed at least one academic year in their previous course with an average score of C.
- People who have Final Certificate of relevant Professional Bodies in addition to five credit passes including English Language, Mathematics and Economics.
You're expected to finish your accounting degree in four years. To get your qualification, you should meet the requirement of the Department and Faculty.
Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) is a state university. Just as UNN, the requirements for ESUT is the same. ESUT requires all candidates applying for admission for accounting courses must acquire five credit level passes. They must include a credit pass in English Language, Mathematics and Economics in not more than two sittings.
OSISAT Polytechnic Enugu offers ND and HND qualifications for people interested in the accountancy career.
For professional courses, below are some institutions that offer professional accounting classes:
- The ICAN or Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria
- The CIMA or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- The AAT or Association of Accounting Technicians
- The CMA or Certified Management Accountants
- The ANAN or Association of National Accountants of Nigeria
- The ACCA or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
Each professional body has its specifications. Thus you must read about them to know which one works best for you. However, if you already have the knowledge required to begin your accounting classes, then you can go to the certified tuition centres to begin your accounting journey.
Accounting Jobs For a Profession Changer
Changing careers is never a bad idea. There are a lot of reasons why you may want a different career path. Perhaps your salary is low, your interest is dwindling or you just want to explore something completely new. Whatever your reasons are, choosing the accounting field is a great idea.
For starters, you might want to make inquiries on the accounting majors that are currently in Nigeria. Since each has its specifications, you should choose the one you're most comfortable with. If you would like to go for professional courses, you would be needing a specific duration of years to complete some of your training.
Whether you would like to become a chartered accountant, auditor, or any of the other professions under accounting, there a lot of professional courses you can go for that will help with achieving your goal.
Another alternative would be to go for the technician scheme. Usually, it is for people who just want to boost their curriculum vitae. Here, you will learn the basic principles of accounting and get full details on your introduction to accounting. Since bookkeeping and number crunching is being taken over by technological advancements, you will also be trained on how to use accounting software.
Additionally, your qualifications can get you direct entry into higher institutions in Nigeria. Your direct entry is usually into 200 level of an accredited university in Nigeria. In this school of business, you will learn on a larger scale, the accounting programs you have opted for.
While you're undergoing accountancy training, try to get a part-time job in the same field. It will help make your journey smoother and increase your years of experience. Your first job may require that you begin as an entry-level accountant. This is only because your knowledge of accounting is still growing. However, with more years of experience and qualifications, you will advance into higher stages.
Finding The Best Accounting Tutor in Enugu
Some qualifications require that you have the best accounting training. A lot of the professional courses which will start your accounting practice are expensive. You want to make sure that you're doing everything right including getting the right tutor for the accounting field you have chosen. That way, you would be extra certain about getting good grades to qualify for your accounting degree.
Whether you're planning to become an internal auditor, or you just have the analytical skills to make an accountant, getting the right tutor is an important task.
To help, you must first be sure of the accounting education you will like to have. Since accounting is a broad field, you should choose the field you're comfortable with or one that is currently rare and will be in demand soon.
For instance, forensic accountants and tax accountants are still quite rare in Nigeria. So, if you choose that accounting career path, you can work your way into government agencies and private sectors. One of the dreams of an accountant is to be able to work in one of the big fours. If you're good at your craft, you can get to work under these companies.
Whatever the case is, you will still need to learn the basic principles of accounting before spreading out to your field of study. For instance, a management accountant's duty is quite different from an external auditor's. If you're uncertain about the accounting tutors in your area, you can learn Accounting online or get to the specific places they will be teaching in Enugu. Find Superprof's accounting tutors here.