If you have decided to take Spanish lessons in Nigeria, then Felicidades! You're on the right path. There are several ways to learn Spanish; through a language school, a professional Spanish tutor or a Spanish translator, or online. While all of this is possible, getting the right Spanish tutor requires investing time to do research. To start with, your questions should be outlined in this form:
- What kind of Spanish teacher should you choose?
- How fast can you learn Spanish courses?
- How much should be budgeted for Spanish lessons?
Taking private lessons in foreign languages like French, Spanish and German e.t.c, is a great way of expanding your knowledge and increasing your vocabulary. However, you should make sure you're learning the Cervantes subject or any other language for the right reason. For students looking to study Spanish for several purposes, here's a guide curated by Superprof (an international trusted tutoring website for lessons in an array of subjects) for you.
Hiring A Teacher For Spanish Lessons In Nigeria
In Nigeria, parents, guardians and adults are starting to see the importance of learning new languages. It's a great way of creating connections, increasing your chances of getting better international opportunities and boosting your knowledge base.
If you've ever needed a reason to be sure of your interest in studying Spanish, here's a sneak peek: Spanish is the fourth most popular language in the world, spoken by over 570 million people and an official language in over 18 countries. Additionally, studying Spanish courses opens your mind to a new culture and thought pattern. As a student that wants to acquire Spanish, there are certain things you should put into consideration before hiring a Spanish teacher:
- Make sure you understand why you want to know more about the language of Cervantes. Knowing the reason why you want to read this discipline is a step in the right direction. Your reasons will streamline your path and aid your Spanish tutor to channel their time into training you certain aspects in the Spanish courses a lot more than others. It will also help determine the level you intend to reach when taking Spanish lessons.
- Are you the kind of student that learns in a more diverse environment? Whether you're this or not, you should consider your tutor's education method. In case you didn't know, tutoring methods affect your knowledge. To get the best from your Spanish classes, make sure you're in sync with your tutor's tutoring patterns.
- The type of tutor to teach Spanish is also important. You may be interested in being taught by a Spanish translator who has a vast tutoring experience in a lot of languages. Others can be multilingual or bilingual tutors who have taken an interest in teaching. You can also work with a student tutor who can offer a more dynamic approach to tutoring Spanish.
- Other things you should also look into include: the instructor's work expertise, their teaching qualities, the fees, schedule and location.
While your school may be offering Spanish classes, getting a home instructor or a Spanish tutor near me is a great way of helping you understand the complex Spanish grammar you learned in class.
DELE Nigeria: Passing the Spanish Test
You don't need to study Spanish at the university or have a university degree before taking the DELE Spanish test in Nigeria.
What is the DELE Exam?
The Diplomas de Español Como Lengua Extranjera (DELE) Instituto is the official Spanish language proficiency diplomas. This program is organised by the Instituto Cervantes and granted by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport. The acronym DELE stands for Diplomas de Español Como Lengua Extranjera and is translated in English as the Diplomas of Spanish as Foreign Language. This title is the official title for Spanish proficiencies in varying levels worldwide and since 2015, a lot more foreigners have been added to the program list.
The name Instituto Cervantes was coined from the famous Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes and the institute aims to promote the teaching of Spanish language and culture.
Anybody can take the test; whether you're in secondary school, the university or you have years of work expertise. One of the distinctive things about this certification is that it allows you to take six different proficiency levels. They include A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2
SIELE (Servicio Internacional de Evaluación de la Lengua Española - International Assessment Service for the Spanish Language), is one of the Spanish diplomae that you can obtain at a school. Taking the test will determine your proficiency level. So, instead of choosing your overall level before your DELE test, your result in SIELE can help you decide what level you're in. Unlike the DELE certificate that lasts a lifetime, this certification lasts for two years only.
Taking the DELE exam has a lot of benefits. If you're looking for a reason to take this test, here are some to guide you:
- It is recognised worldwide. You will be holding a certificate that is internationally recognised. It means you have wider access to better and bigger opportunities, more connectivity and more comprehensive knowledge in the business and academic sector.
- It is one of the most revered certificates in the business world; you have higher chances of getting employed with it. Depending on the university of your choice and your course of study, this certification will give you an edge over other students.
- It's a certification that lasts a lifetime.
- Taking the exam proves your proficiency rate and opens opportunities to the outside world business and academic-wise.
- You have the opportunity to boost your knowledge and harness your skills for your advantage.
With over 100 countries (800 and more exam centres) taking this language course, you can take the DELE exam in different Nigerian centres. In the city of Abuja and Lagos for instance, you have access to at least two centres. In cases of tuition, prices change depending on location, level and exam centres. However, costs can range from ₦50,000 to ₦150,000.
When it comes to preparing for this exam, learners can take lessons online or hire a home teacher. Some schools also offer after-school tutorings to help trainees understand complex topics in the course.
The National Curriculum For DELE Nigeria
The curriculum for DELE spreads across all parts of the country including Lagos and Abuja. Just like French, German, and other languages, Spanish courses have a national curriculum. For pupils in primary schools, students are expected to use the language to:
- Speak clearly on their daily life through the description of experiences, storytelling and conversations on things in their environment.
- Interact and speak with classmates by using polite everyday expressions and phrases.
- Through the use of several materials and resources like music and poems, pupils should be able to analyse good enough.
As a Spanish tutor, you're expected to teach primary schools this subject for the purpose of:
- Helping students understand others and express themselves.
- Helping pupils achieve a good networking connection.
- Helping learners to develop strong arguments.
In secondary schools, you will learn more advanced versions of the courses in this language. You will delve a lot more into:
- The indirect speech and tense agreement
- Nouns, articles and suffixes
- Subjunctive imperfect and pluperfect tenses
- Expression of desire, need and regret
- Personal and impersonal obligations
- Negation and restrictive construction
- The conditional and imperative tenses
- Aspects of action
Following the national curriculum for Cervantes courses will assist in building a great education background.
Private Spanish Tuition Cost In Nigeria
Getting Spanish education in a Nigerian city is not free. Do not fret! It's likely that you're convinced that this subject is a luxury and will certainly be expensive. On the contrary, taking Spanish lessons can be quite affordable depending on your location and the coach of your choice.
In Lagos state or Abuja for instance, the rates your teacher will offer per hour may be a lot more expensive when compared to a state in Nigeria that's not a metropolis.
When you're making plans to hire a tutor for your Cervantes classes, here are things you should put into consideration:
- The experience years of the tutor: Some teachers can only teach primary or secondary level. If you're looking to learning a more advanced form of Spanish, you should be sure your instructor is qualified enough.
- Your expectations of the lesson: Knowing how you want to learn Spanish will give a clear overview of the kind of teacher to hire.
- The education experience of your teacher: Knowing this will give you an inkling int how they understand the language and to what levels they can teach.
Now that you have gotten this out of the way, you want to make sure that your hours are well spent. Whether you're taking free online Spanish lessons, or private tutoring, ensuring that you have learned well within your speculated hours is great.
In terms of pricing, language schools offer tuition from as low as ₦60,000 - ₦200,000 per month, depending on your level. If you're interested in online or private classes, instructors under the Superprof platform offer private and online Spanish exercises for as low as ₦1,500. You also get access to reviews made by past students. With the reviews, you have an overview of their years of experience and the amount of work they have done in the past year or more. Using Superprof also grants you access to 95% of teachers who offer the first hours of your classes for free.
The platform that connects tutors and students