Out of all the languages in the world, English is the most widely spread and the most popular. English is also the official language of many African countries including Nigeria. Based on the influence of the English language in the world, many students all over the world are looking to experience the language for different purposes.
In essence, it means that once you qualify as an English teacher, you'll have several opportunities available for you. As you begin your English language tutoring career, you may be pondering on different ways to make money. And indeed, there are many ways of earning good money as an English tutor:
- You can start teaching English at school. Many schools are in search of reputable English tutors. Depending on the level that interests you (primary, secondary, university), compile your teaching experience in an organised format and send to the school(s) looking for tutors or the school(s) of your preference.
- As a qualified English teacher, you can also find remote online English teaching jobs. Many students are embracing online tutoring, especially because they can access teachers that are not in their location.
- You can opt to teach students at home or a designated place as a private tutor. Assuming you teach in a school, you can teach after-school lessons and summer lessons which can earn you an extra salary.
- You can also start your private tutoring business, as a side hustle. In that case, you should hire teachers who have good teaching methods, and good experience with interacting with students.
- Many tutoring centres are also looking out for English tutors. Working with teaching centres can help you impart your English knowledge to students.
In any case, your earnings will vary based on:
- The teaching qualifications you have. If you have just an NCE qualification as an English teacher, you may not earn as much as teachers who have TEFL or TESOL certificates.
- The location of where you teach. If you live in a metropolitan city in Nigeria, chances are that you'll earn a lot more from tutoring students. In a place like Lagos for instance, where many students have different needs, you can offer your teaching experience and earn a lot from remote tutoring, home tutoring and school teaching.
- How you present your teaching profile. Many English teachers who have good years of teaching experience are quite bad at organizing their tutoring profile. Having good student reviews and teaching methods can bring you up the ladder and help you re-establish earnings for your lessons.
Keeping in mind your teaching level gives you a better perspective on how to charge for your lessons. In any case, let's discuss the basic salary an English teacher earns in Nigeria.
What's The Average Salary of English Teachers in Nigeria?
As a compulsory course, English language lessons are taken seriously in schools all across Nigeria. Therefore, English teaching jobs are always required. For English tutors teaching in a school, certain criteria make up your salary in a month.
On average, your salary is ₦50,000. If you only have an NCE certification, you'll be paid this amount for training students in the English course. Although based on certain qualifications, some teachers earn ₦60,000- ₦70,000 as their starting salary. However, the former is an average range for tutors teaching English language lessons all across Nigeria.
Of course, an English teacher's salary can skyrocket based on their experience and degree. For example, If you're a university degree holder, or you have a TEFL certification, you'll earn a higher salary than an NCE holder. Prices for Entry level English teachers in this category usually starts from ₦75,000 and increases to ₦100,000 depending on the school and the curriculum they make use of.
Here's a breakdown of an English teacher's salary:
- Federal and state government schools usually pay between ₦50,000 - ₦60,000 for entry-level English tutors.
- Private schools have varying salary ranges; Private schools that follow the national curriculum offer ₦50,000 - ₦60,000 for entry-level tutors. For Montessori and international schools, the average salary of English tutors is between ₦80,000 to ₦150,000 for an entry-level English tutor.
- Tuition for federal and state university English tutors ranges from ₦200,000 for entry-level (assistant lecturer), Junior lecturers earn, ₦250,000, senior lecturers earn ₦300,000-420,000, professors earn from ₦600,000 while Head of English department earns an average of ₦1,000,000 per month.
- Private universities offer their tutors an average of ₦400,000 to ₦600,000 per month.
.As earlier stated, the salary range is influenced by levels and teaching experience, and qualifications. The more time you spend in the profession, bag more certification, the more your income increases.
How Much Does A Private English Tutor Earn
Private training has over time become one of the best ways a tutor can make extra money but why has it become such a lucrative business with time? Let's explore some of the major reasons:
- The education culture in Nigeria has become so increasingly low, that private learning is a need.
- Many parents tend to use the services of an English lesson tutor especially if their children are lagging in the course.
- Unlike school hours, a private tutor tends to give the student more time and flexibility to practice their learning.
- Private education also allows for more specialization in the English course. For example, a tutor can offer to teach a specific English class for a student preparing for JAMB or WAEC.
- A private lesson allows the tutor to have more personal hours outside of work. It also allows the tutor more time to be flexible with their lesson.
- With the coming of remote online learning, you can teach English online to different learners which breaks the barrier of distance. Technically, a remote class can be cost-effective.
As a private tutor, your hourly rates can start from any price point between ₦2,000 to ₦5,000/hr. Depending on the hours and the number of pupils under your training, a tutor can expect a minimum of ₦20,000 extra earnings per week.
Also, if you specialise in a certain English course, as we have with the external exam lesson (like BEC, SSCE, TOEFL, IELTS e.t.c), a student can pay double your earnings based on the high demand, especially if your work profile speaks for itself.
Perks of Private Teaching
Let's assume you apply for jobs at different institutions and you get a job at one of them, you'd be expected to follow the teaching requirements for the English course. Over time, when you continue to teach in this space, the class gets boring and monotonous. If you're looking for more flexibility and extra pay, taking a private class for children or young adults can help with that.
Of course, if you're new to remote education, you must acquire enough expertise that serves as top requirements for the job.
In essence, you may not necessarily get a job in a school. You can offer your hours as a volunteer teacher, or start online remote training. You can also choose to offer your services for free for the first few days, weeks, or months. These are requirements that you have to work towards to gain confidence when you start home tutoring jobs.
Once you're confident in your remote education services, you can put up your home teaching rates based on your education level or apply for teaching jobs online. As a private online or home English teacher, you're likely to get hired by more comfortable families than less financially comfortable ones.
Now, let's view the benefits that come with private tutoring jobs:
- You can get your learners to pay you per hour. Since most educational academies offer tuition monthly, it is more beneficial to apply for private training.
- Your hours are a lot more flexible. You can decide to teach online or at home for an hour every week. Technically, you get to be your own boss.
- You enjoy the independence that comes with being a private instructor.
- Whether you're new to online or home private training, you can work two jobs simultaneously. In essence, you can still apply for private tutoring even if you teach in a school.
- The requirements of private teaching also involve meeting a wide variety of students and providing the services they need.
Offering Your Tutoring Services Online
We've reiterated on the fact that we need English to help expand our networking and communication skills. If you have a degree in English, you can do more than work in a school. The online world offers so many job opportunities for English instructors. In fact, your English tutoring job offers you a better opportunity online, a lot more than science and other language instructors combined.
There are several ways you can earn from your job as an English instructor:
- Become a Superprof instructor.
- Offer your job expertise on freelancing sites like Upwork, Fiverr, etc.
- Specialise in TEFL training. TEFL teaching has become a lot more popular due to an increase in the ESL market. So you can train learners who need TEFL training online.
- You can also offer online tutoring services to learners all across the globe.
For your online rates, you can start from as low as ₦1500 per hour. And as you expand in your job experience, you can increase your rates to up to ₦6,000 per hour.