Once you decide to choose the teaching profession in Nigeria, then it means you have come to love its perks and downsides. As you would have observed, teaching whatever level (primary, secondary or university level) can be demanding as it is rewarding. That's why you must do your research before diving into the education field.
There are several opportunities for teachers who intend to take the English language as their core teaching subject. Just like Maths, English courses are one of the most important for students in primary, secondary and university level in Nigeria. The English language is the most popular in the world, and with over 355 million speakers worldwide, English has become the language of diplomacy, business, connectivity and much more.
Quality English tutoring allows students to speak, read, and write fluently. Thereby boosting their studying and communication skills, as well as their confidence. As an English teacher, you have a crucial role in ensuring a great learning experience for every student, as their learning of the subject influences how they grow socially, intellectually and culturally.
51.6% of the languages you'd find on the internet is English, which means you have more access to information and learning online when you're proficient in the language.
What are the Roles of a Professional English Tutor?
Whether you'd like to teach English online, at home or in a school, certain roles make up a great English training. The primary role of good English teachers is to ensure that they impart a detailed knowledge of English to students.
Technically, English teachers are expected to provide quality training of English both as a language and a mode of literature. Whether it's a university, secondary or primary level, good training of English courses is expected to allow students to have a great command of the English language which allows them to become proficient in reading, writing and speaking.
Whether you're a home teacher or you teach English in schools, here are responsibilities of reputable English teachers:
- To properly teach English courses and ensure optimal assimilation in students, English teachers are responsible for planning class lessons, assignments, and classwork.
- In the classroom, teachers are expected to help students develop their writing skills.
- Teachers also help improve the literacy level of students by providing recommended English texts that students can study with.
- An experienced English teacher is expected to help students improve their vocabulary and grammar.
- Since English courses can be complex for some students, the teacher monitors their progress and study patterns to ensure proper assimilation of English topics.
- To prepare for class, a professional English teacher studies materials and reads different books to help achieve a better teaching method that students can benefit from.
- The teacher also accesses the classwork of each student through one-on-one reviews.
- Organise classroom activities and other forms of tutoring that can improve the learning experience of every student.
- Reward grades based on their course tests and exams.
- In the classroom, the teacher is expected to teach the English course in an informative and engaging manner. For every level, teachers should encourage interactive discussions that can help improve the cognitive experience of every student.
- In many schools in Nigeria, teachers are expected to meet with parents to discuss the classroom performance of their student either physically or by sending their English language reports.
- Paying attention to their speaking proficiency level and offering tips that can help every student learn better.
Teaching English Language According to the Nigerian National Curriculum
Nigeria has a wealth of diverse cultures. Many of the learners you'll meet when teaching English have a different language as their mother tongue. And this applies to schools and private tutoring alike. In many schools in Nigeria, the curriculum for the English class is formulated for the following purposes:
- To ensure that schools are equipped to help students become proficient in the course and can use the language for business, connectivity and communication outside of the classroom.
- To get the class accustomed to speaking and reading to gain information, for recreation and other activities that can influence their career and other life events.
- To grow their knowledge of grammatical rules necessary for reading, writing and speaking.
- Using the curriculum to teach the English course will allow students to develop their vocabulary and improve a better understanding of grammatical rules.
- It also allows them time to appreciate the variety in the English culture and heritage which is evident in their literary pieces.
- Teaching with the curriculum also boosts the writing of many learners. Constant teaching helps them to start becoming better at their writing by following the guidelines for writing which includes style, coherence and accuracy.
- The curriculum also ensures that the teaching allows learners to make meaningful conversations/interactions which aid their understanding of the course.
Teaching with the curriculum as a teacher allows you to organise your lessons in ways that can favour your learners. Taking the time to learn new mannerisms to teaching the course can improve how students react to the subject and boost your tutoring profile.
How To Qualify To Teach Primary and Secondary Schools in Nigeria
Before you can qualify to teach in any public or private school in Nigeria, you must have met certain requirements. At the base level, you'll need an NCE certification. The NCE certification is the minimum qualification for a career in teaching English.
Having the Nigeria Certificate in Education qualifies you to teach in any primary school in Nigeria. However, if your career is geared towards secondary and university-level teaching, then you'll need a higher certification.
To teach in high school, you must have a Bachelor's degree in English education or a bachelor's degree in English Arts. Of course, to get this degree, you must have met the requirements that'll make you eligible for university education.
If you intend to work as a teacher at the university, then you'll need to start an English program in PGDE. Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) is made specifically for a teacher that finds the job of teaching at the university meaningful. After bagging your degree, the certificate also allows you to start up your own school.
To take your English teaching up the notch, there are two certifications that qualify you to get a teaching job anywhere in the world:
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification.
The TESOL certificate is a blend of both TEFL and ESL. Technically, it allows you to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) classes abroad and in countries where English is a foreign language. A TEFL certificate, on the other hand, allows you to train learners in countries abroad where English is not the primary language or mode of communication.
Not only do TEFL and TESOL allow you to train learners abroad, but it also places your career on a higher pedestal. Starting a program either in TEFL or TESOL for the purpose of teaching EFL (English as a Foreign Language) or ESL (English as a Second Language) abroad and in Nigeria also expands your job profile and exposes you to more networking opportunities.
English Teaching Jobs Nigeria: Private Tutoring
English tutoring jobs in Nigeria are not restricted to just academic teaching. You can find online English teaching jobs and private tutoring jobs in the English field. Unlike your tutoring job in a school, you wouldn't need as many qualifications if you want to venture into online and physical private tutoring. You can:
- Specialise in exam prepclass tutoring for WAEC, NECO, JAMB and Post-UTME candidates.
- Advice and train learners in EFL/ESL courses if you have a TEFL or TESOL qualification
- Work as a freelance tutor and offer online tutoring for learners who want it. The Superprof platform is a great avenue to start.
- Start your own tutoring business and hire qualified teachers who can offer quality services for English program courses.
- Offer after-school tutoring services if you're an English tutor in a school.
- Work abroad after meeting the requirements to train learners abroad.
- Start home tutoring and offer new and practical tutoring methods that can help the student learn. Superprof provides the opportunity to do this, that platform has thousands of students looking for tutors
English is revered everywhere in the world. In essence, as an English tutor, you have a wide range of opportunities available to you. The demand for English tutors in Nigeria and the world is constant. So whether you're interested in online jobs, tutoring outside Nigeria, volunteering and much more, you'll surely excel at it and earn a lot more from tutoring.
The platform that connects tutors and students