- 01. Who is a Wildlife Biologist?
- 02. Job Description of a Professional Wildlife Biologist
- 03. Best Reasons why you need to Study Wildlife Biology
- 04. Where to Study Wildlife Biology in Nigeria Universities
- 05. Can I Study Wildlife Biology Online?
- 06. Job Opportunities Available for Wildlife Biology Graduates
- 07. Best Tips for Beginners Seeking a Career in Wildlife Biology
“If we can teach people about wildlife, they will be touched. Share my wildlife with me. Because humans want to save things that they love.”
― Steve Irwin
The knowledge of wildlife biology is not so popular in Nigeria, but it is gaining popularity within the last decade due to the recent campaign on the preservation of wildlife worldwide. Different renowned biologists have contributed significantly to the development and understanding of the natural world of animals.
Most of these experts have left the comfort of their homes and countries to go over to the wild to study and learn about the life of this wildlife.
This knowledge helps in the conservation of wildlife and our planet. With conservation, the world has remained stable.
Take biology classes on Superprof.
Who is a Wildlife Biologist?
Wildlife biology is seen as a scientific study of the wild which consist of the study of animal and nature.
Wildlife biologists are individuals that have dedicated their lives to the study of the behavior of animals living in the wild. Individuals who study biological sciences of wildlife are trained to become experts in observing the ways these animals behave in the wild and determining the roles these creatures carry out in their different ecosystems.
These wildlife experts also study how these animals interact with man in our ecosystem.
In this article, Superprof will be showing you why you need to study wildlife biology, where to study wildlife biology in Nigeria, and the right jobs open to you as a wildlife biologist.
Engage in some biology online classes here.
Job Description of a Professional Wildlife Biologist
The job and task of a wildlife biologist vary. These professionals spend most of their time studying the behavior and habitats of different varieties of animals in the wild.
Some of the day-to-day jobs and duties of a wildlife biologist include
- Collecting and collating rare biological data and specimens for analysis
- Studying the characteristics of animals, their habitat, their genetics, and how they socialize and interact with other species and animals
- Conserving wildlife and the ecosystem
- Helping to manage the wildlife population
- Studying invasive plants and animals
- Studying wildlife and writing research papers and academic journals to explain their findings
- Giving presentations to the academic world and the general public.
With the advancement in technology and innovation, wildlife biologist now makes use of updated technology in carrying out their studies and in tracking the movement of animals from one location to another.
To do well as a wildlife biologist, it is necessary to develop a good outdoor and resilient skill. You are also expected to develop your physical and emotional stamina as you are required to spend most of your days in very harsh conditions.
Best Reasons why you need to Study Wildlife Biology
“Never apologize for being over sensitive and emotional when defending the welfare of wildlife.
Let this be a sign that you have a big heart and aren't afraid to show your true feelings.
― Paul Oxton
The course wildlife biology can be quite challenging, and tasking since it requires great research and coursework.
To succeed, in this field of forensic science, hard work, dedication, and motivation are needed.
Here are some of the great reasons why you need to study wildlife biology in Nigeria
- Opportunities to Travel across the Globe: As a wildlife biologist, you will be chanced to travel to different parts of the world to study wildlife and nature. Moving from our famous African Jungles to the beautiful landscape of the Amazon. Travelling is one of the key tasks of the job of a wildlife biologist.
- Close Association with Animal: As a wildlife biologist, you have the rare opportunity to have a close interaction with animals. To be a successful wildlife biologist – you must need to be a lover of animals.
Where to Study Wildlife Biology in Nigeria Universities
Nigerians are now becoming to love and appreciate wildlife. Most nature lovers are now beginning to study wildlife as a course at the University.
Presently in Nigeria, there is only one university in Nigeria that is presently offering wildlife as a biological science course.
American University of Nigeria (AUN)
American University of Nigeria (AUN) is a private university in northeastern Nigeria that offers American-style higher education programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. The University was founded in 2004. It is located in northeastern Nigeria in Yola, the state capital of Adamawa state.
The university offers conservative biology which is a variant of wildlife biology. To apply for Conservation Biology as a UTME candidate, you are required to have five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, and two other science subject.
Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates
To apply for Conservation Biology as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two ‘A’ level passes or NCE in Biology, Botany or Zoology, and one other Science subject.
Can I Study Wildlife Biology Online?
While you can find some schools and institutes that can offer you a degree in wildlife biology and its related fields such as zoologists, it is quite difficult to learn the course through the online route in Nigeria. This is as a result of the specificity of the subject matter and the experimentation and observation needed.
To be able to study the course well, you can easily look for an on and off-campus around your locality that offers related courses both online and in-person such as zoology, biology, fish and wildlife conservation, and ecology
Job Opportunities Available for Wildlife Biology Graduates
In choosing a career as a wildlife biologist, it is important to consider the job opportunities that will be open to you here in Nigeria and overseas.
It will only amount to foolishness studying a course that you cannot practice here in Nigeria or that you don’t enjoy doing.
With the present unemployment rate in Nigeria, there are thousands of graduates from different courses that are either underemployed or unemployed due to limited or no job opening in their field of study.
Therefore before diving into the field of wildlife or conservative biology and spending hundreds of thousands of Naira and a minimum of four years to study these courses, let’s look at some jobs available in the 21st century for wildlife biologists.
The following are some of the job opportunities that are available as a graduate of wildlife biology in Nigeria.
- Zoologist: This is one of the major jobs of a wildlife biologist in Nigeria. Zoologists are also known as wildlife biologists if their duties are carried out in the jungle, forest, or deserts.
- Animal Scientist: You can also work as a wildlife scientist. Here your job entails the collection of data about animal populations and conducting experiments with animals in controlled and natural settings.
- Game Warden: The job of a game or resort warden is the protection of wildlife and fishes. There help to enforce fishing, hunting, and boating laws in the country. The duties of a game warden also entail the arrest of trespasses and the education of the public by helping wildlife enthusiasts and conducting search and rescue operations.
- University Professor: With a higher degree and certification as a wildlife biologist, one can seek for a job in the university to teach wildlife biology and conservationism at a polytechnic or university.
- Biological Scientist: the job of a biological scientist is to assist a medical scientist or biologist with conducting experiments and testing in laboratories.
These are the major and most popular and highly recommended wildlife biology courses for recent graduates with the wildlife biology or conservative degree.
Looking for internships is a great way to kick start your career. It also helps in deciding which role you would prefer. You can check job boards that offer wildlife biologist internships.
Best Tips for Beginners Seeking a Career in Wildlife Biology
To succeed as a wildlife biologist, it is important to understand the following tips that will help you as a beginner.
- Be sure of what you want: we cannot overstate the importance of going or studying what you have a passion for. Go for what you love and are passionate about just as someone that has the love for being around animals.
- Where your Interest Lie: Where does your interest really lie with respect to animal wildlife. Do you love nurturing animals, learning about their animal instincts, or just understand and studying their evolution?
- Know the nature of the job that you will do: it might be relatively difficult to know all that the job requires without being into the system. However, you can get a grasp of the types of roles that exist within the sector. This will help you to determine if you prefer an analytical or quantitative position. Getting a clearer view of the jobs that you will be expected to do will help you know if you are taking the right career choice. .
- Weigh your academic options: If you have an interest in furthering your study to a master's or Ph.D. degree level since most advanced jobs in the area of wildlife biology might require you to obtain a Ph.D. degree.
- Consider alternatives in other related fields: It might sound a bit discouraging, but it is not out of place to let you know that they are not enough jobs in Nigeria for wildlife biologist presently. It is, therefore, necessary to consider studying other courses in other related fields as diploma while looking for a long term job opportunity.
You can read up on the following Superprof articles on the different types of Biologists like microbiologists and Biological Engineer.
The platform that connects tutors and students