Your body is a Temple. You are what you eat. Do not eat processed food, junk foods, filth, or disease carrying food, animals, or rodents. Some people say of these foods, 'well, it tastes good'.
When we talk about healthy dieting, it involves taking all the essential food in the right quantity and quality. Good nutrition has a direct impact on one's overall health and quality of life. To stay healthy, it is important to follow a healthy diet plan that consists of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and other healthy food sources.
When eating these foods, you do not just satisfy your hunger, but you're nourishing your whole body too. Although you might find yourself indulging once in a while (we've all been there} but you must keep track of what you eat to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
A healthy diet can help to protect one from certain diseases, most especially non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, eye diseases, skin diseases, obesity and some types of cancer and skeletal conditions.
Also, healthy diets can help in maintaining good body weight and an opportunity to enrich life by giving one the chance to experiment with different food types from different origins, culture and different recipes. The benefits of healthy eating also involve living a higher quality of life and a more productive digestive system.
To stay healthy, you need to understand the effects of a balanced diet on one's health and the importance of good nutrition to the human body. Follow us as Superprof takes you through the benefits of nutrition for the entire body.
Benefits of Healthy Diet and Lifestyle for the Eyes
The eyesight is one of the most important and attractive parts of your sense organs. A healthy body often goes hand-in-hand with general health. In Nigeria, presently, most individuals are suffering from one eyes impairment or the other. To some, it is genetic while to others; it might be as a result of one's diet or lifestyle. Embracing a healthy diet style at a tender age will help to prevent one from sight issues at a more advanced age.
Foods rich in minerals, vitamins, and other essential nutrients such as lutein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins C and E and zinc are good for battling eye-related conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts. To keep your eyes healthy and active, here are some great foods to consume always.
- Eggs: These come with essential nutrients such as vitamin A that helps to protect the eyes from night blindness and dry eyes.
- Legumes: Healthy legumes such as lentils, kidney beans and chickpeas are good for the eyes
- Leafy Greens: Plants such as spinach, collard greens and kale are fully loaded with zeaxanthin and lutein that helps to prevent eye deterioration such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Citrus Fruits: Fruits such as limes, grapefruits, oranges and lemons are good sources of vitamin C that help in reducing the risks of macular degeneration or cataracts
- Salmon: It comes with omega-3 fatty acids that help the eyes to stay sharp.
More so, some great recipes are vital for giving you better eyesight due to the combination of nutrients and minerals. Examples of some easy to prepare recipes for your eyes includes
- Green Eggs and Ham Frittata
- Banana, blueberry, and pomegranate smoothie
- Carrot cumin soup
- White bean soup with kale
- Chicken with mushrooms and thyme
- Easy Salmon Cakes
- Macaroni and cheese with carrots
Healthy Diets for the Hair
Everyone loves looking good, and having healthy hair gives confidence to people when they walk into an occasion. A healthy, glowing and luscious hair is dependent most times on genetic, age, health and most importantly on ones dieting.
The importance of good nutrition on the hair can never be overemphasized since the right nutrients help to promote rapid hair growth. Different food sources are needed to keep the hair healthy and glowing, some of the foods to add in your diet menu includes
- Spinach: These green vegetables helps to promote healthy hair growth as a result of some of the essential nutrients such as folate, iron, and vitamin A and C that it comes with.
- Berries: With the antioxidants and vitamins that these fruits come with, it promotes healthy hair growth and to also strengthens the hair to prevent it from breaking
- Cinnamon: The nutrients helps to move oxygen to the hair follicles.
- Fatty Fish: Some essential nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids that can help to promote hair growth can be found in fatty fishes such as salmon, herring and mackerel.
- Avocados: These are great fruits that provide enough fatty acids and vitamin E that acts as a great source of antioxidant for hair growth.
- Carrots: It comes loaded with vitamin A that helps the hair cells to stay healthy.
Healthy Eating and Skin Improvement
Having healthy skin is something that both the young and old craves for. The nature and texture of one's skin can be a true representation of how healthy one is. In recent years, people now spend heavily on their skin.
For their skin to look great and well-toned, they spend thousands of naira on creams and lotions to give the skin a face-lift. This has made the healthcare industry to continue booming as men and women are ready to patronize their products.
But with a healthy diet and the minimization of stress, one can keep the skin beautiful without having to spend much money on those moisturizing creams, anti-ageing creams, facial skin creams or makeup removal products. To keep your skin glowing and radiant, here are some healthy foods to take continuously.
- Tomatoes: These contain a high level of carotenoids which is needed for the maintenance of radiant skin.
- Broccoli: A great food for maintaining healthy skin due to the composition of sulforaphane that helps in fighting skin cancer
- Red Bell Peppers: It contains lots of vitamin C that are essential for the maintenance of collagen in old age. It also helps to reduce wrinkles and dry skin.
- Dark Chocolate: Studies has shown that cocoa is very helpful for the skin. It helps the skin to be less rough, dry and scaly.
- Walnuts: Walnuts contains a lot of vitamin E, protein, selenium, zinc and essential fats that the skin needs to stay healthy.
- Fatty Fish: Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for the maintenance of healthy skin can be found in fishes such as salmon, mackerel and herring. These fishes produce enough oil that can help to fight against autoimmune and inflammatory conditions.
Benefits of Healthy Diet to the Digestive System
“Proper nutrition is one of the most fundamental things on which anyone’s healthy and happy life can be based - Sahara Sanders
People having a series of issues with their digestive system is increasing daily in today's world due to the kind of food we eat and lifestyles that most people expose themselves to. Unhealthy eating habits cause digestive problems such as heartburn, indigestion, nausea and stomach upset. These conditions are often painful and make one sceptical of the food to take at any point in time. To stay safe from these conditions, it's necessary to eat foods rich in fibres such as
- Cucumbers: A great source of fibre that acts as a laxative for individuals having constipation issues.
- Blueberries: A great food that is ideal for the digestive system. It comes high on fibre and vitamin C
- Beetroots: These foods are rich in fibre, potassium and magnesium. There are great for the preservation of a healthy digestive system.
- Apple: They comes with the needed nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamins and other great dietary fibres that are needed to reduce inflammation in the digestive system.
Benefits of a Healthy Diet for Disease Prevention
To enjoy a healthy lifestyle, it's important to live a healthy lifestyle that will help you prevent some avoidable diseases and food-borne diseases. Eating right can help to prevent some non-contaminable diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular diseases and most cancer. A balanced diet should contain enough vitamins, fibres, and other essential nutrients. Here are some great foods that can help you to prevent diseases
- Quinoa: These are known as the mother of all grains. It comes fully loaded with enough dietary fibre and proteins to fight against heart attack and blood pressure.
- Apples: It comes with enough pectin that helps in reducing breast cancer and the risk of colon.
- Green Tea: Research has shown that green tea has some essential nutrients such as flavonoids that help to reduce inflammation from fatty foods.
- Pumpkins: A great vegetable that is filled with beta-carotene that helps in reducing lung cancer
- Legumes: Due to the richness of beans, lentils and chickpeas in fibre, they help in the slowing down the release of glucose into the bloodstream, which helps to prevent sugar spikes.
- Broccoli: The sulforaphane contained in this food contains some anti-cancer properties that help to reduce the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Carrots: Eating enough carrots helps to reduce lungs, stomach and prostate cancer
- Berries: The antioxidant pigments found in this plant helps to reduce the chance of having cancer
These and more can be done to ensure that one lives healthy and stay healthy. You can also read up on some other benefits of good nutrition on