Urgent problems require urgent solutions and finding a good home tutor can be a matter of urgency. We experience challenges always and while we can deal with some, in the long run, others are a matter of urgency. Academic failure or frustration requires immediate response especially if there’s a test or examination coming up very soon. Finding a knowledgeable and skilled private tutor quickly can be the transformation you need to improve your grades.
Know your Objectives
- Start by ascertaining the level of help you/your child needs. This will determine whether you/your child needs homework help, intensive study, remediation, or revision classes.
- Next, you need to know your learning style or that of your kid. What learning methods help to improve assimilation and facilitate faster learning?
- What areas require improvement? Does your child need better grades in one or more subjects or improvement in reading and writing?
- How much can you afford to pay the home tutor? Are you capable of adding private tuition fees to your endless list of monthly expenses? Note that fees vary based on location, expertise level, and subject area.
None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps. We got here because somebody – a parent, a teacher, an Ivy League crony or a few nuns – bent down and helped us pick up our boots.
Thurgood Marshall, American Lawyer and Civil Rights Activist.
Reason for the Urgency
We all want that kid whose grades stand out from other kids’. While a few parents have geniuses, some have brilliant kids and others average. What’s amazing, however, is that your kid does not have to remain on the same intellectual level forever. Intellectual reception and academic performance can be improved with private lessons, be it online tutoring or one on one lessons.
Home tutoring is not exclusively for kids, but for everyone who needs improvement and help. Some urgent situations for needing a tutor quickly can include the following:
- Your child changed school and is finding it difficult coping academically, psychologically, and socially.
- JAMB or WAEC is fast approaching and you believe your child’s probability of success is low.
- You have just a week left to prepare for your IELTS, TOEFL, and/or GMATS examination and need revision classes.
- Being a guitarist, you haven’t strum your guitar strings in years. However, you have a live band performance this Friday.
- You’re a poet who hasn’t practised spoken word poetry in years, yet the competition is days away.
Your situation might differ from the aforementioned ones, but they all share the same urgency. Anxiety won’t help at this point; it would rather cause a panic attack or something worse. Thus, taking the following proactive measures can help solve your urgent need for private tuition.
Here, you want to begin by surfing the web for a suitable tutor for you/your child. Having concluded on the reason for the urgency, it’s time to determine what tutoring medium suits your needs. It is advisable to check an authorized tutoring website that offers online tutoring, as well as offline private tuition.
Superprof offers both teaching mediums, thus making it easy for you to choose one or both forms of teaching. To save time, you can filter your search based on:
- Location – this search result helps to identify private tutors close to you and the ones online at that moment.
- Field – this includes academia, health and fitness, arts and crafts, languages, professional and personal development, and more.
- Rate – this lets you filter tutors based on your budget. It shows the average price offered for your desired field of learning. Furthermore, an additional filter feature helps you see tutors that offer their first lesson for free.
- Response time – we all want a tutor who can respond to messages within a few minutes or hours. This column helps you know tutors that respond within a day and those that take longer to respond.
Finding a Tutor Quickly
Now that you have an idea of how to filter your preferences let’s discuss how to research Superprof’s tutors. Once you’ve opened your desired tutor’s profile, ensure that the account is verified. Due to the urgency, make sure that s/he has an average response time of 12 hours. Below the “response time” column you can see whether the tutor offers individual or group tuition or both. Furthermore, s/he will indicate whether they do one on one lessons and/or online classes.
Do well to check reviews before concluding on choosing a certain tutor. Reviews give an insight into what to expect from the prospective tutor. For tutors you wish to interview, click on the love icon for easy accessibility to your favourites.
I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.
John Steinbeck, American Author and Nobel Prize Winner.
Contacting Private Tutors
At this phase, you have found several tutors you want to interview and it’s time to draft your request. Sending it out to the chosen few will help to further determine who is right for you. Include information about your preferred method of instruction, expertise level, tuition schedule, and tuition timeframe.
Writing a long epistle is unnecessary; save the tutor some time by informing and enthralling him with a succinct request. Tweak it for each tutor to show seriousness and make sure it’s not a copy-paste request. Personalizing each request by adding each tutor’s name helps the tutor know that your text is meant for them alone. Also, try to chip in your urgency and how quickly you need a response.
Ensure to look out for those with the quickest and most convincing replies since you have an urgent need to cater for. Besides confirming a tutor’s availability, response time shows how seriously a tutor takes his job.
How to Better Your Tuition Chances
Now that we have discussed how to initiate your first conversation, let’s talk about how to increase your odds. To begin with, most premeditated tuition schedules and plans don’t work out. For this reason, you should be able to adapt to some changes. For instance, if you are interested in a face to face lessons, you can opt to visit your tutor instead. But don't expect to get free lessons because of this.
Sometimes, tutors have tutees in different locations and don’t have the luxury of adding an extra location. Additionally, the tutor will charge extra fees and may waste time commuting to yours. So why not just drive over to his house; save some extra bucks and time you can’t afford to waste.
Besides location issues, your schedule and your tutor’s might be clashing. Thus, you might have to adjust your study schedule to fit that of your tutor. Many tutors have busy weekdays so weekends may be your best bet.
Diversify Your Search
Perhaps you found no success with online tutoring websites and you’re wondering what next to do. Diversifying your search for a private tutor can yield more favourable results than you think. You can start by drafting an advert, stating your urgent need for private lessons. Visit academic locations such as universities to paste posters on notice boards. Ensure the poster vividly describes the qualifications you require from the tutor and your contact details.
A graduate or postgraduate student who is well-versed in your desired field may be looking to make some extra money. If you have a child who needs WAEC or JAMB revision tutorials, a university student can be a perfect fit. Although the student may not have the many years of teaching experience you would expect from an older tutor, his teaching style may be perfect for your child. Sometimes, kids learn better from younger tutors with whom they can relate better.
If you don’t consider this a valid option, then you should contact family friends for help. One or two might have a home tutor who teaches their kids. There may be room for your kid to join for a little extra fee or nothing at all. Alternatively, search the Superprof platform, which gives you access to a multitude of tutors living close to you and who all offer a free first lesson as a trial without any commitment.
University professors offer specialized training for professional examinations like IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT and GRE. Even though learning from a professor may sound too professional and serious, it may be your best option. However, eliminate home tutoring options if you intend learning from a highly ranked academic.
Finding a tutor urgently has never been this easy. By implementing some or all of the aforementioned guides, you will be able to hire the services of a good tutor in no time. No matter how urgent you need to get a tutor, take some time to screen your options thoroughly. Happy learning!