Tutoring prices differ in relation to what the tutor can offer, as every consumer wants the best value for their money. The cost of a service is an optimal combination of cost, quality, and sustainability regarding the needed requirement of the service rendered.
As the need for education increases in leaps and bounds among parents in Nigeria, so is Nigeria's tutoring industry. As a result of high unemployment and underemployment rates in Nigeria, most individuals consisting of teachers, undergraduates, caregivers, and other experts looking for other side income are now entering into the private tuition business. These individuals provide their unique services to students to help them succeed academically for a price.
However, geography tutoring comes in different forms as it involves both the study's physical and human areas. The discipline is becoming more important today than it was in the past, but it still lags behind some subjects seen as core subjects in Nigeria secondary school, such as Math and English Language.
To underscore this fact, geography is not part of the core courses in GCSE or A-Level requirements. This often poses a serious challenge for individuals preparing to sit for GCSEs or A-Level Geography. But that is where private tutors come in handy to prepare those students and expose them to their environment's intrigues.
In this article, Superprof will show you why one would need a private tutor in geography and determine the best reasonable price.
Reasons to Engage a Geography Tutor
Different reasons exist why one needs to seek the help of a tutor in any particular subject. But the major reason for almost every individual seeking a private tutor helps to succeed academically. Academic success for most students is a function of scoring high marks in both internal and external examinations. Therefore, it's important to engage a tutor for homework support and preparation for tests and exams.
These examinations that students prepare for ranges from secondary school examinations such as (WAEC, NECO, GCE, NABTEB, JAMB, and Post-UTME), university semester examinations, and other specialized examinations such as GSCEs and A-Level examinations.
Another reason why parents tend to engage a private tutor for their wards is if the child has any learning disability, such as
- Dyscalculia: A specific learning disability that affects a person’s ability to understand numbers and learn math facts.
- Dysgraphia: This involves a learning disability that affects a person's handwriting ability and fine motor skills.
- Dyslexia: A learning disability that affects a child's reading and related language-based processing skills.
- Oral / Written Language Disorder and Specific Reading Comprehension Deficit: This involves learning disabilities that affect an individual's understanding of what they read or spoken language.
- ADHD: A disorder that includes difficulty staying focused and paying attention, controlling behaviour, and hyperactivity.
- Dyspraxia: A disorder that causes problems with movement and coordination, language, and speech.
These special students require special attention, which may require one-on-one tuition to help them cope.
The study of geography is about more than just memorizing places on a map. It's about understanding the complexity of our world, appreciating the diversity of cultures that exists across continents. And in the end, it's about using all that knowledge to help bridge divides and bring people together.
Where does geography fit in all of this?
Suppose a student requires additional help in doing their geography assignments or learning geography as part of the school curriculum. In that case, the student falls into a group of individuals that requires a tutor's help.
It can also be an individual with a curious mind seeking to learn more about the world and nature. This curious learner might have an interest in finally graduating from the university with a geography degree. Then there will be a need to engage a tutor to sharpen the student study skills.
But as you might have noticed, the cost of such services might be a bit higher when compared to conventional classroom settings or a group class.
Determining the Cost of a Tutor to Study Geography
Factors that determine what a tutor is expected to bill for a private tutor vary from one variable to another. Some of these variables that will determine how much you would pay for private tutoring in geography should include
- The Student Academic Level: Children between the ages of one to five usually have shorter attention spans making each teaching session shorter than their elder counterparts. The lower the lesson duration, the lesser the among bill is expected to be
- Nature of Study: Is the class elementary in nature, or will the geography tutor be expected to dive deep into the hard and more technical parts of the subject
- Added Value: The more dynamic and personalized your tutoring services are and offering customized services to meet the student's needs, the high the possibility of you charging a premium price.
- Location for the Class: The class's delivery method determines the price the tutor will be expected to bill. If the tutor is expected to make weekly scheduled visits to your home, it is expected that it would be more pricy than the online tutoring route.
- Type of Tutoring: Is the tutor hired for homework help and support or general academic support? For academic support, it requires more time and work, which might require more pay.
- Individualize or Group Learning: Most tutors give a discount for group classes than when it is just a one-on-one scenario.
- Geographical Location: Your location has a role to play in the amount the tutor is expected to bill you. A geography tutor in Abuja's highbrow area would not charge the same amount as another tutor in Abeokuta's slum.
- Learning materials: The learning materials are other factors that one needs to think about when thinking about the price a private tutor is expected to charge. If the tutor is expected to provide geography textbooks and other learning materials such as GIS, Compass, Orbit that the students will need, it will come at an extra cost.
- Tutors Qualification: The tutor's academic qualification and experience also affect the price the tutor will be expected to bill at any point in time. If the tutor has spent years at university earning a master's or doctorate degree and then over ten years of field experience, the tutor's services are not expected to come cheap.
SSCE AND JAMB Geography Tutoring Cost
This demography of students is very important when looking at the cost of geography tutoring since they are the most critical segments requiring a private tutor's guidance for their examination. These tutors are required to motivate the students and keep them on track as they prepare for their entrance examinations such as Jamb in preparation for university education.
Secondary school students mostly focus on expanding their geography knowledge before establishing whether to further as a university geographer. This is the issue being faced in this field of study, as this career field is relatively smaller when compared to other science and social science courses. Most young secondary school grandaunts prefer to study Medicine, Pharmacy, and other science courses since there are not properly taught on the different career parts embedded in geography.
This is where geography tutors have a part to play in exposing students to the fun and stability involves in this career.
But how much will a private tutor charge for all these services? On average, a private tutor in Nigeria is expected to charge within ₦750 to ₦2500 per hour.
Furthermore, if you live in big states and cities in Nigeria such as Abuja, Lagos, or Port Harcourt, the average tutoring session for an hour is pegged at ₦1500 to ₦3500, which is in contrast to that which is charged in cities such as Ibadan, Abeokuta, Ogun State and other less developed states where the price is within ₦500 to ₦1500 per hour.
If you are hoping to engage the services of a highly-qualified professor of geography, then the sessions are expected to come high as much as ₦3500 to ₦5000 per hour.
On the other hand, you may need to hire an undergraduate student studying geography in a higher institution or just a freeman who graduated from university. Some benefits come with engaging these types of tutors as they have recently undergone the same challenges that you are presently facing, and their prices are often budget-friendly.
Another importance of learning under a tutor that is your age grade, mostly for undergraduates preparing for their semester exams, is the rapport and friendship that can be built, unlike in an advanced tutor, which is usually more formal.
When choosing your tutor for a geography course, always remember that the best is not always the priciest. What is ideal for each student is dependent on what works for them.
Now that you have understood what you need to look out for when selecting and pricing your private geography tutor, you can go out now to choose who you will work with for preparation for the exams and score a high mark.
Superprof offers a remarkable number of qualified geography tutors to meet your need. With Superprof, the first lesson with its tutors is free. This enables you to find the perfect teacher for you or your ward without having to make a long-term commitment first.