"Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate." —A lan D. Wolfelt
We all want to find that special someone and we must start by going on a date when we meet one. Having a date with someone is a great way of knowing each other and what better way can you do that if it is not when eating a delicious meal together.
You have agreed to go on a date and it's at your place. The pressure’s on to impress when it is the big day. Send a text message in the morning to confirm your date to avoid any form of disappointments after going through the hassle of preparing a delicious recipe.
To make a good impression you’ll get a bottle of good wine, set out the fancy wine glasses and set the table with your best crockery and or with candles and flowers. But you don’t know what recipe to cook! Take a deep breath and don't panic. We at Superprof have got you covered to ensure you successfully impress your date.
As you read on, you will find useful tips.
Tips For Choosing The Right Dinner Recipe
A Date night can be as special at home as it can be in a restaurant in town, it all depends on how you prepare for it. Cooking at home helps you control what is on your plate. You can give your date a detailed explanation of what the food is made of.
Before you choose a dinner recipe, ask yourself some questions about your guest like what do they like and what they don't like. For instance, if they are allergic to onions, you are obviously not going to add them to the meal you are making.
Here are some questions to ask yourself about your date before cooking:
- What are they allergic to
- Are they on a special diet?
- Are they vegetarian?
- Do they have a particular health condition that requires them to stay off some things?
- Are they trying to lose weight?
- Do they like red meat, seafood, pepper, soup?
- Do they take alcoholic drinks or not?
- What wine should I choose to accompany the meal?
- What type of menu is best for a romantic meal? Starter main dessert?
- Should I use candles to set the mood or should I use flowers to decorate the table?
- What should I wear for the date?
Simplicity is key, don't risk a disaster with a more complex meal. Plus you will save money and time when you go for something easy, delicious and colourful.
For example, you could make fish pepper soup for starters, jollof rice and grilled chicken for the main dessert and a yoghurt parfait for dessert. Of course, served with a glass of sweet red wine. All these won’t cost much and you’ll make a balanced, healthy dish that your date is bound to like.
Cooking should be fun so you could decide to make something out of the ordinary that they may not have had before.
Preparation For The Dinner
"Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly." ― M.F.K. Fisher
Cooking is a nice way to attract the person you like. If you enjoy cooking, you can showcase your creativity to impress your date with meals you sure they probably have not had before. You could make the signature recipe that you created on your own or you could make something your friends or family rave about when they tasted it.
If you are just learning to cook, don’t put pressure on yourself but make sure you pay attention when you’re cooking, it takes time to learn.
There is no one perfect or magical recipe for a date night. The taste, decorations, food plating and the atmosphere is what really matters.
Here are a few guides for the preparation process:
- Research Nigerian or intercontinental recipe ideas. Depending on which you decide to go.
- Avoid microwave-ready meals
- Food plating is important. Put time into the presentation of the dish.
- Do not add too many spices or seasoning
- Choose the right wine: red for meat, white for fish
- Decorate the table nicely with flowers, napkins and nice dishware
- Make sure your apartment is clean
- Make the food appealing by adding colours to it. For example, you could garnish with some onions, red, green and yellow peppers and so on.
- Pay attention to the decor and lighting in the room. You could add some candles to ignite the mood
- The smell in the atmosphere is important. Ensure you spray a good fragrance or you can use scented candles to achieve that
- Choose some nice background music like jazz or RNB.
Remember having a good time with your date is what is most important. Just be considerate, attentive, caring and happy and everything you make will taste good.
Passion Can Be Shared Through Your Cooking
Preparing to entertain can seem daunting and time-consuming, especially when you’re feeling uninspired in the kitchen. Like we discussed earlier, relax then take your time to research simple meals you are sure of not getting wrong.
Cooking is more than a fundamental skill, its a means of seduction and creativity. A man or a woman cooking wearing an apron and preparing a dish for a date always looks and turns out to be seductive.
By inviting a date over for a romantic dinner, you will not only show them your cooking skills but other parts of your personality too. You can let your imagination create something exciting but remember to play it safe while trying something new. Remember, you don't want your date complaining of too much pepper or salt and asking for water. That can make you feel a little disappointed in yourself. Try new recipes, imagine new ones in your head but keep it simple and delicious.
A meal made with love is an act of intimacy between two people. It will taste delicious especially if they’ve watched you put all of your efforts into making it. It is a beautiful way to bond with your date.
If you’re stressed or angry, you’re more likely to make errors when measuring things out or adding seasoning.
Be yourself, relax, light a candle, serve a meal and pop a cork. It’s what your lover truly really wants.
Nigerian and Intercontinental Dinner Recipes Ideas You Can Try
"I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them.” ― Nora Ephron
There is no one perfect dish for a romantic dinner date. Everything is subjective, there is no one universal way of preparing a romantic dish. This is why we at super prof Ng has compiled a list of Nigerian and intercontinental recipes to make your dinner date romantic and seductive.
- Fish, chicken, turkey or meat pepper soup
- Yam and sweet potatoes porridge garnished with fish and a side of vegetables
- Jollof rice or and Fried rice with plantain or salad
- Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon
- Skinny Alfredo - This is an alternative to the typically super-heavy dish that is silky, flavorful, and seductive
- Baked catfish with a side of potato salad
- Fried plantain with a side of greens and chicken sauce
- Seafood spaghetti
- Garlic-Lime Chicken Tenders & Quinoa made with olive oil
- Moi Moi, chicken salad and grilled plantain
- Ofada rice with assorted Ofada sauce
- Cow leg or turkey Nwkobi
- Seafood okra with wheat or oats flour swallow
- Roasted chicken with lemon, olives and parsley stuffings
- Grilled fish with vegetables and plantain or potatoes
- White rice and fried stew garnished with vegetables
Here's a list and video preparations on some Nigerian Dinner recipes you can try out for that perfect date night.
The list goes on and on. Remember to always consider your date's health condition, what they like and don't like, their favourite dish or what they are allergic to.
Last Tip - You can find out your date's favourite dish and try to recreate it for them.
Don’t panic if the meal doesn’t produce the desired results: if you have spent time cooking for your date, they’ll forgive you and the effort you’ve made will be more important than the taste or outcome of the dish itself.
You can also read up: