Unlike other states in Nigeria, such as Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, high profile acting schools are not too available in the northern state of Kaduna. However, in the 1960s, a Hausa-language cinema known as Kannywood was birth from the RTV Kaduna and Radio Kaduna. Veteran actors like Kasimu Yero and Dalhatu Bawa were the pioneers of drama productions that later became popular among the Northern audience in Nigeria a long time ago.
You can take a full-time 4-year drama education as a student at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
The Theatre Arts Department of the university was created and approved on the 2nd of June, 2006, and it is a fundamental place to learn acting alongside other skills. The Theatre and Performing Arts program aims to make well-rounded and skilled graduates who can set out to face the task ahead and become trailblazers in the Nigerian movie industry and the international scene. And of course, the school is run by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
You will also have the opportunity to perform at the Ahmadu Bello University Drama village, a classical location in the great institution. It is the Department of Theatre and Performing Arts studio where a student performs the most practical work while taking drama courses. Every hour spent on your drama education will definitely worth it. For more enquiries, you can contact the said university via their website.
Kaduna Media Academy
Looking for available short term drama lessons in Kaduna, Nigeria? Although you may not find one of London standard, the Kaduna Media Academy makes available various professional training in television, film, music and radio production. You could opt for any of these lessons to hone your skills and boost your profile as a professional actor or actress. However, they do not offer remote lessons via a webcam.
The academy is approved by the government of Nigeria, and you will get a National Diploma certificate after completing any of the courses. You can contact them through their email address or phone number for more details. It is recommended to search for reviews from past students to get a good knowledge of the teaching quality.
As a student, you could take drama lessons from a Superprof coach online via a webcam at the comfort of your home. Distance is never a barrier when it comes to education. Learning and teaching don't have to be done face to face. It can take place online whether you are in Nigeria or anywhere in the world, thanks to the use of a webcam by both an approved professional tutor and the student. Head on to Superprof to take advantage of the first free lesson. You won't get a better offer elsewhere!
Forms of Acting Class
If you want to learn to become an actor or actress in Nigeria, you should know that this profession entails far more than memorizing lines. So, what are the various components of dramatic arts? If you participate in drama research training or an acting degree, you may be required to face only one speciality. Some of the available specialities that are approved include:
- Techniques of Acting (High Importance for An Acting Career)
- Techniques of Audition (High Importance to Work in The Industry)
- Analysis of the Situation
- Rising actions
- Voice-over (VO)
It is also important to know the elements of drama described as role, character and relationships, scenario, voice, movement, space and time, language and texts, symbol and metaphor, mood and atmosphere, audience, and dramatic tension for the Drama course. A few of them are critically explained below:
- Character: a character in a drama is a person or individual who has identified personal characteristics and/or histories. Flat characters (also known as two-dimensional characters) lack depth and change during a drama event. Rounded characters (or three-dimensional characters) have more detailed and complex characteristics and histories, and dramatic action in the drama event will change them.
- Dramatic tension: is what propels the story forward and keeps the audience engaged. When opposing characters, dramatic action, thoughts, attitudes, values, emotions, and desires clash, a problem that must be addressed (or left unresolved) through drama is created.
- Language and texts: the use of spoken or written words that follow specific conventions and language registers to express thoughts, emotions, and other associations. The term "texts" refers to the use of published texts, online materials, and other compositions that contribute to the drama's meaning.
- Metaphor: By implying that something is something else, a metaphor can make an image or concept of that thing. ‘He is a lion of a man,' for example. The use of metaphor in drama can be subtle, such as a mouse metaphor formed by a character with a squeaky voice and small darting movements. Design and stylistic elements may also serve as metaphors for characterization or provide thematic meaning.
Perks of Taking an Acting Class
Do you have a passion for acting and crave to be on the screen or stage someday? Attending a drama class could help you achieve these and more. Drama courses can help you improve your communication skills and gain confidence. Introverts and shy students may gain tools to help them find their footing in nerve-wracking social situations. Below are some of the benefits of taking a drama lesson:
Various aspects of the filming, particularly improvisation, help young people learn how to assess situations, think beyond their comfort zone walls and feel more confident in unfamiliar situations. Students learn to believe in themselves and their abilities. The self-assurance gained from learning performing arts skills can be applied to school, work, and everyday life.
Students who are innovative and learn to make creative decisions are better at coming up with new ideas and seeing the world in new ways. Attending drama lessons could help you develop a very creative imagination. You could make your dreams come to reality sooner than you realize.
You can better relate to various circumstances, backgrounds, and cultures if you understand the characters, roles, and subtext of plays and music. This will enable you to treat others with compassion and tolerance.
Although it may seem self-evident that drama, theatre, and the performing arts enhance verbal and nonverbal communication, it is worth noting that this benefit extends throughout a young person's life. Vocal projection, articulation, speech tone, and expression are all improved. It is also imperative to know and take note that it improves listening and observation skills.
Whether you arrive at acting class after a stressful day at work or a bad day at school, you will be able to unload some bags. Passionate feelings such as rage, desperation, hate, love, shame, and yearning are required in some dramatic scenes. While this isn't easy for a beginner actor or actress, you'll become more comfortable tapping into your full emotional range with practice. Many acting classes will ask you to prepare your own monologue, which is a great way to let out some pent-up emotions, as you can choose a monologue that makes you think about whatever you're going through in real life.
Creative Problem-solving Abilities
Most people expect theatre students to be creative in acting, design, playwriting and directing, and many companies hire creative people. However, employers aren't always aware that acting experience can help you learn innovative problem-solving skills applicable to a wide range of jobs.
Building a stage, hanging lights, making props, running the show, and so on, for example, is a great way to learn how to think on your feet, identify problems, assess a variety of available solutions, and figure out what to do. Almost every aspect of acting is the same way. Directing, design, acting, playwriting, and management are skills that can be used in the theatre. The point is that your creative abilities, as well as what you've learned about using creative processes to solve problems, can be applied to almost any work.
Theatre Arts Opportunities
There seem to be limited opportunities for theatre artists in the state. However, there are a few jobs that fresh artists can take up. Some job roles you can easily pick up include:
- Screenwriter: The act of writing screenplays for films or television shows is known as screenwriting. Screenwriters are those who write scripts, and they are often freelance writers. Writing a screenplay, marketing it, and then selling it for a million naira is not a simple process. To excel in the movie industry (Nollywood) as a scriptwriter, you must approach it with a practical mindset; otherwise, your dreams will be crushed in the blink of an eye.
- Story editor: also known as a "supervising producer," is a position in film and television production. A story editor is a screenwriting staff member who edits screenplay stories. Finding new script/breakdown writers, creating stories with writers, and ensuring that scripts are suitable for production are just a few of the story editor's duties.
- Film Researcher: This is yet another area of expertise that is underutilized in Nollywood. However, this does not rule out the opportunity of working as a film researcher. Any production team would be incomplete without a good researcher. Seen a great movie recently and thought to yourself, "Wow, that was an incredible piece of work — I'm curious, who did the research?"
- Literary agent: a literary agent (also known as a "publishing agent") represents authors and their works to publishers, theatrical producers, film producers, and studios, as well as assisting in their sale and deal negotiations. Novelists, screenwriters, and nonfiction writers are the most typical clients of literary agents. They are paid a set percentage (usually 20% on average).
Acting Classes With Superprof Tutors in Kaduna
If you are a resident of Kaduna state in Nigeria and worried about the limited availability of drama schools in your area, I have good news for you. There is always a Superprof Acting coach near you! There is always a suitable coach for you. It doesn't matter what acting/drama style or method you are interested in. You could also learn remotely from the comfort of your home due to covid restrictions or via a webcam from a tutor with vast experience. Ensure you get a tutor who has been in the business for at least a year.
Before hiring any professional drama coach, you could look at their profile to get acquainted with their field of expertise and get all the information you need to help you determine which tutor would be suitable for you. Reviews from other students who have hired the coach not too long ago may also serve as a guide to selecting the best coach for you. Also, endeavour to drop your review after doing business with a tutor to help prospective students make their choice.
What's more? By hiring a Superprof drama coach, you get a free lesson to helo you assess the tutor. These professional and well-experienced drama coaches charge a very pocket-friendly rate per hour. Most of these tutors have been teaching for a number of years and have a huge wealth of experience. Due to covid restrictions, you could receive acting lesson online via a webcam.
Visit Superprof now to find an acting tutor near you!
Click here to find out about acting classes in Enugu state.
The platform that connects tutors and students